Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Repeat Counts.

Posted by Julie 03 
Re: Repeat Counts.
June 08, 2006 03:42PM
Hi i have a jhd son he was tested at 15yrs pos with a repeat of 75, he is now 23yrs old and is totally relient on the nursing care home for everything.
He has recently deteriorated so he has had jhd showing symtoms at 13yrs old. He has multipul seizures and stopps breathing. we don't know why? but know that he is not too good.
JHD life span is aprox 10yrs so every day is a bonus for him and his siblings none of which carry the gene.
Hope this helps?
June 08, 2006 10:23PM
Hi Julie
I agree with Fred he speaks from great experience and as for what treatments might be like for you daughter IF your husband is positive well all you can do is look at the great progress we have made over the last 20 yrs and we can only guess the leaps they will make in the future. Try not to overload yourself with worry until you get the results and you will surprise yourself with the amount of strength and courage you have when you need it most.

Fiona was my mom?s social worker and now she is mine, what a great support she has been to all of us and her level of understanding from someone who has no HD in their family is rare and admirable to say the least.

My email address is angler_fisher@yahoo.com.au feel free to contact me if I can help in anyway.

Dave
June 08, 2006 11:07PM
aidis ...sorry to hear things are going so rough for you. I hope your son is as comfortable as he can be and that you are able to remain strong for him. I am thankful your other children are healthy. One is too many as is. We will be thinking of you all.
June 10, 2006 06:40PM
Julie,
I live in Canada and we have the same system as Australia. My husband did not have to pay to be tested, but the process seems to take longer than in the USA. He had his blood drawn the first part of March and didn't receive his results until May 31st. They said it is because they have to wait for a group of people to want to be tested because it is cheaper to send several at once. The waiting lists for doctors is much longer and it is difficult sometimes to even have your own family doctor. Sometimes, it sounds like a paid system like the USA has would be better, but I can't imagine having to pay to see a doctor.
All the best!
June 10, 2006 10:59PM
I'm in Canada also, and i had my blood drawn mid december, and had my results first week of january. It depends where you are in Canada i think, and how close you are to a genetic testing centre. I am just a couple hours from the HD clinic in Vancouver, so it didn't take long at all for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login