Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

disability, long term insurance and bi-polar

Posted by mare 
disability, long term insurance and bi-polar
April 27, 2012 08:54AM
I've been following this web site for probably a year now and really don't know about the process of filing disability. Can you still buy longterm disability with the positive test. I am doing very well in my job at this time, but it requires some pretty high level analysis. Do you have to go uninsured for two years? When you request accommandations, do they have to pay you the same? I've seen that Colonial life thing and do they sell us life insurance.

I really wasn't prepared for my positive test and wish I could take it back so I could have been better prepared.
Re: disability, long term insurance and bi-polar
April 27, 2012 08:56AM
Oh I forgot that I have a sister who is positive and has suffered from bi-polar for years. Is there really a good treatment for this. I've had bad luck with SSR s myself so I can't recommend that.
April 27, 2012 11:07AM
We just completed signing up for disability and ltc insurance. On each application, there was a specific box to check if you had HD. We were lucky enough to do this before testing, so I don't know if we would have been denied or just had significantly higher premiums. My advice is to find a broker that you can trust and is really knowledgeable, and be honest with him or her. The broker will want to get you insurance because that is how he gets his commission. So he will work to find you the best policy. As for a waiting period for disability, no. Beginning the day we signed up, we were covered if something happened. However, there is a waiting period from the time we are disabled to the time the insurance kicks in. For us, it is 90 days. You can set it to whatever you want, but it will affect your premium. Same for LTC.

I don't know anything about bipolar, so I can't help you there. Best of luck. The whole insurance thing was really daunting at first, but once I worked my way through it (with the help of my broker), it was manageable.
April 27, 2012 12:57PM
i have hd and bipolar. ans have had for quite some time. i was dx with bipolae 14 years and the hd for 10 years. i tried to get coverage. i also have asthma and akso hav seizures. i applied gor coverage after my hd dx and the premiusm were out of this world. and the high ptemium were untouchable that is if they accepted me. .

i feel like i was on a merry go round and finally threw in the towel. i am niot sure if i should reapply now or just let it go. i can not afford much to pay. we are on a tight budget and my hubbie works and i get very little from ssd and i can no longer work due to the hd and bipolar.

i know how you feel about getting coverage and then gives very high premiums. we deserve fulll coverage but they put a price on our condition. that is not fair but i guess they done care. but that is just one setback i feel we must accept

kerri
April 27, 2012 02:14PM
Thank you so far. If there's more good information I would appreciate it.
April 27, 2012 06:46PM
I can only speak from my experience pre testing. My policy was through an employer some 10 years prior to testing. It states there is a 90 day pre existing time period.
Mike
May 04, 2012 08:37AM
This may be tough. You can always ask for help on a life insurance broker website-- talk to a licensed professional to see if there are any carriers that give HD dxes a break in expensive premiums. You could also try looking for a smaller coverage amount. The larger the face value of the policy you buy, the more extensive testing and medical examining becomes. Your other bet would be through work. Policies sold at work very often do not require medical examinations. Good luck, I do hope you find something.

Pat Cassidy
Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 06:43AM by patcassidy.
May 04, 2012 12:59PM
I guess I thought nobody sells it to us. I would be interested in small coverage, just to cover the funeral stuff. I would hate to stick my kids with it. What about long term disability? Would that also be an option at a higher price?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login