Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My husband

Posted by Barb 
My husband
February 18, 2010 01:51AM
My husband is ok, but he had a heart attack today. He was taken to a large trauma hospital, and had an angiogram done, and they found a huge, not small, but huge blockage in his artery, and it was completely blocked off. I rode in the ambulance with him, and then some friends came out to bring me home tonight. They fixed the blockage, put a shunt in, and he's going to be in there for a few days. Please dont say sorry or i'll cry, just glad he is ok. Now he is on a lot of meds to make sure he doesnt get a blood clot where the shunt is. He'll be in for a few days, and the neighbours are good enough that they will drive me out there each day. I'm glad he was able to get fixed that way, and didnt need heart surgery. The ambulance lost his shoes and clothing, so im gonna take him some clothes and stuff tomorrow. Anyways, so thats all i just hope he gets better.
Re: My husband
February 18, 2010 04:18AM
I know you said not to and I dont wanna make u cry but im so sorry to hear that! Im glad that they were able to fix the blockage and hopefully fingers crossed he will be right as rain in no time.

Takecare and wish him a speedy recovery frm me smiling smiley x
February 18, 2010 05:37AM
Oh Barb thats terrible, the good thing of course is that they found the problem and can fix it. I've watched these operations on tv and the way the Dr explains it to the patients actually makes sense as they speak our language, not Dr language. The shunt will keep the artery open and he will function normally again, I wonder how long it has been blocking.

Has he been getting any signs that all is not well such as reflux or indigestion? Or has this come out of the blue?

Did you find the ride in the ambulance offputting, I went in the back with Bailey a couple of times and as it is all blocked off with no windows you have no idea where you are until they tell you they have arrived at hospital. Such a strange feeling, bit like being blindfolded and not having a clue where you are.

Glad to hear he is ok, how they could lose his shoes and clothing is beyond me. They should give him an ambulance uniform to replace his clothing don't you think?

Good to hear you have people to help you out with running around and you can relax now for a while knowing he is in good hands and all sorted out. I know people this has happened to, apparently the shunt works really well.

All the best and keep us informed as to how he is, no doubt he will be up and about when you go in to see him next. They don't keep you in bed long these days.

Love to you

Debbie xx
February 18, 2010 07:11AM
Barb, stay strong and look after yourself as well as your husband.
Love Yvonne x
February 18, 2010 07:20AM
Barb, I'm so glad he's going to be OK. So glad he got quick and good attention, and that he will be able to heal without having a more invasive procedure.

You'll both be in my prayers. Wish I lived closer; I'd make you some food. But sounds like you also have some great support nearby.
February 18, 2010 07:21AM
Sorry to hear that Barb, I don't pray so he wont be in them, but I'm thinking of him.

[www.hdyo.org]
February 18, 2010 07:27AM
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Paula
jl
February 18, 2010 08:03AM
Barb, you and Dan will be in my thoughts.

I'm glad that the solution turned out to be less serious than it could have been!

And I'm glad that you're being provided trasportation back and forth. I know that you have wisely decided not to drive!

Good luck

jl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 08:05AM by jl.
February 18, 2010 08:16AM
Barb, they can do a lot to stop heart attacks now. It's amazing the survival rate, and how that number increases every year!

Good Luck Barb and keep the faith.
February 18, 2010 09:04AM
Barb - You're an incredibly strong person. Don is lucky to have you. He's going to be fine.

Will
Luz
February 18, 2010 10:01AM
That must have been so scary, Barb. But I'm really glad things are so much better already. Stay strong! We're all thinking about you.

Luz.
February 18, 2010 10:18AM
Sending big cyber hugs and prayers for continued improvement, Barb.
MRO
February 18, 2010 11:29AM
Yes Barb, more cyber hugs and prayers from here. Dan is a lucky man angioplasty is way more dangerous than people think! Speedy recovery!
February 18, 2010 12:30PM
Barb

I am relieved to hear that he will be fine. Stay strong.

Stacy-NJ
February 18, 2010 01:09PM
Barb, I pray so, I will be sending both of you some.

Matt, I may be more of a bigger sinner than you, giving me less of an option not to. smiling smiley

Brett T
February 18, 2010 02:29PM
Well Barb, with you by his side...he'll be back to normal in no time. Take care of each other.
Much love and prayers coming your way!

Carla
February 18, 2010 02:49PM
OMG.
prayers for you and Dan. We do this type of thing well and I'm sure Dan will be back to scratch soon.
love
Dusty
eve
February 18, 2010 04:43PM
I feel as if I know you (as do many others I'm sure) through your insightful, kind words of wisdom you share with us. AS others have said, remember to nurture yourself, Barb. I hope everything goes well for your husband now. I wish I could do something to help, but all I can say is you should know there are many kind thoughts being sent your way. You are an admired strong woman and a treasure.
February 18, 2010 05:13PM
WOW BARB, Your husband is a LUCKY man.. TO have such good medical care and to have YOU for a wife! Give him gentle hugs from ALLLLL of us and give him our good wishes!! THank GOODNESS for you Barb! Love ya, Pat
February 18, 2010 05:58PM
I'm glad that your husband is doing well. He will be in my thoughts and prayers! Your husband is very lucky to have you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login