Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

symptoms

Posted by Todd 
symptoms
August 07, 2000 03:04PM
my wife tested positive for the HD gene on May 31, 2000. most of her family on her dads side has already passed away from the disease. She is 35 and convinced that she is into the first stage of the disease, she has went through the genetic testing as well as the neorlogical exam, were still waiting to hear back from that. the doctors say they can't tell if it is depression or the onset of the disease and I don't know how to cope with the not knowing. her mood swings and irrational behavior as well as intense anxiety started back in October of 1999, was that the onset of the disease, i don't know. she is extremely restless in her sleeping and talks in her sleep for hours while tossing and turning. her short term memory is bad. the disease is the cruelest thing I've ever seen, there is no timeline no definate answers no cure. I know i'm not the first to go through this and i'm hoping someone out there will be able to offer me some insight into this devistating disease.
RE: symptoms
August 07, 2000 03:30PM
Hello Todd,

Welcome to the HD community - courtesy of the Internet. I'm glad you found this site. You can find many valuable resources and much information about HD by visiting our FAQ pages.

Another thing you may want to do (and I found this extremely helpful to me) was to join the Hunt-Dis listserv. If you're not familiar with what a listserv is, it is simply like a membership to a club. If I post a message to the club then you and all of the other members of the club automatically receive a copy of the message. I've been a member of the Hunt-Dis listserv since March and I can't begin to tell you have much I've learned about HD and how to cope with the mood swings of my wife who was diagnosed with HD about seven years ago. You need to be prepared for a LOT of e-mail messages - but if you're looking for a lot of information quickly like I was then this is the best route to go. Particularly if you want to hear the personal stories and advice of both caregivers and those diagnosed with HD.

You can also visit one of the many HD chat rooms. The founders of this Web site are usually in the HD Support Club at the scheduled chat times. Check the Community Calendar link on the home page for scheduled chat times. Or you can visit the MGH Chat room. There is usually someone in there waiting to tell you their story or to listen to yours.

If you are looking for face to face support rather than cyber support you should visit the Huntington's Disease Society of America web site and look for their list of self-help group meetings. Their web site is [www.hdsa.org].

I've made many friends in the community and want to welcome you as another.

Good luck and best wishes,
Steve Ireland
August 08, 2000 08:32PM
Todd,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. My mother had HD and my sister was diagnosed last week. My mother put my father through alot during the 13 years she was sick. He tried to do it all by himself and it almost destroyed him. Learn as much as you can about the disease and lean on others. My mom was hardest on the ones closest to her. I am sure your wife is the same way. Stay strong and feel free to vent on-line whenever you need to. You are right...it is a terrible disease.

Kathy
August 19, 2000 10:20AM
Hello Todd,

All this is new to me but not. My husband greg is 39 yrs and he has has all the manifestations for the past six mths. But when I look back the abilities to make good decisions,it

has been detoriating for about 10 yrs but I didn't click. We don't have insurance so this is difficult. He goes for his MRI this monday. The ticks in his hands and feet are present and the dementia is already actively presenting it self. He has had mood swings for yrs,not sure if its connected. The greatest problem here is what to liston to and what not. I pray you find answers,bcause I'm also searching.
God Bless You
Paula
sue
September 02, 2000 09:25PM
Todd can you please tell me the symptoms? , My boyfriends dr. said he has it but we want other opinions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login