Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Senior's need help understanding.

Hi All,
I haven't posted for several weeks But I do read the post when ever I can.

Here is our situation, Mom is almost 80 years old. Dad is close to the same age. Mom has had HD for aprox. 15 years or so (late onset). She is in denial and refuses to be tested. How do we know this? Being the oldest of 8 children I was tested because of my symptoms and tested positive. My daughter also tested positive.

PROBLEM,

Mom is in denial, Dad has no understanding the HD and they fight often about Mom's change in personality. She seem's to have lost some of her inibations and says things that she would not have normaly said. Theres things are hurtful to Dad. Dad needs some words of wisdom and an understanding of what to do as a care giver.

If you could be so kind as to respond and direct your post to BOB, I will print them and give them to him. Although I have given Dad some educational material I feel it would help for him to hear from real people in an HD situation. E-mail is also welcome justive seeker007*at*aol.com.

Thanks so much for your consideration,

God Bless

Linda
Dave
RE: Senior's need help understanding.
August 18, 2005 08:38AM
Bob,

I know this experience is difficult. My parents are near 80 and my dad is showing some very early signs of Alzheimers/demetia, etc. I can see how much this is affecting my mom--adjusting to this after 60+ years of a great marriage. So, I can imagine how you might be feeling.

I am a care giver for my wife, age 53, who has HD, so I'll tell you a bit of what I tell my mom and how I respond to HD.

First, whether your wife is in denial or not, she needs a very good doctor, who knows about HD. Initially, my wife did not want to see a doctor, but I had to be VERY firm with her. If she would not see a doctor, I would not be able to help her. That is a fact. I highly recommend looking for your closest HD Center of Excellence, and hope they have a clinic that you can visit with your wife. At some point, you are going to need help at home, because HD will wear out even a young person. I have a psychiatrist for my wife, and I highly recommend one. Without him, my wife would be miserable and it would almost impossible for me to care for her. A psychiatrist can prescribe medications that help stabilize your wife's emotions and reduce her movements. You do not have to tell your wife you ar taking her to a doctor for HD--just get her to a doctor.

You need to understand that many things your wife does are not really her, but HD affecting her. Try not to take it personally. She cannot control much of what she says or does. From my experience, the ONLY way to control difficult emotional issues is through medications.

When HD started, I remembered the Marine saying, "...when the going gets tough, the tough get going..." I have to make some very tough choices, but someone has to do it--and I guess it's me. Feel free to e-mail me at home davekendall1*at*yahoo.com. If you want my home phone number, just let me know.

Best to you.

Dave

Fred
RE: Senior's need help understanding.
August 18, 2005 10:01AM
This may help, I highly recommend these publications.

They can explain some things and show you what can happen in the future.

You may need them

[www.hsc-ca.org]

Thanks so much Dave & Fred.

I will se to it that Dad gets your wonderful and thoughful response. I need to correct my e-mail address. justiceseeker007*at*aol.com

Dave if you would e-mail me the phone number, I'll see to it that Dad get's it. I'm sure he will call you. Again THANK YOU

Linda
Hi Dave.

I printed your post and gave it to Dad.. He has a better understanding now. You said it would be alright if her called you. He would very much like to speak with you. If you could e-mail me the phone number I would be more than happy to get it to him right away. Thanks so much and God Bless you.

Linda
justiceseeker007*at*aol.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login