Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

In-Vitro Fertilization

Posted by Sally 
Sally
In-Vitro Fertilization
September 06, 2005 11:57AM
Does anyone have any information on this topic? I live in Canada and haven't heard anything about it except on this website. Thanks for anything you can offer.

Hi Sally

Yes, there is several good articles on options for at-risk couples, including in-vitro fertilization! I've known two families who had success with this procedure, however it can be very costly. Below is just a short synposis of some options.

I found a resource for Assisted Human Reproduction (AHR), Health Canada's efforts in this area and links to other related sources of information on Assisted Human Reproduction where you might find more information.

The URL is [www.hc-sc.gc.ca]

Plus there is a whole website dedicated to Canadian's considering IVF with lots of good information URL: [www.members.shaw.ca]

I hope this helps!
Love
jean

Pre-Natal Options in Huntington?s Disease

Presymptomatic testing can be performed on adults, children, and even fetuses in the womb. [1] An individual affected with HD or at risk for HD may choose to have prenatal testing of a fetus for the HD gene. This can be done very early in pregnancy but should be planned before pregnancy in order to proceed smoothly. [2]

Prenatal testing is by no means the only reproductive choice for people in HD families. Some choose not to have any type of testing. Other options include artificial insemination, adoption, and in-vitro fertilization with preimplantation testing. [2]

In the in-vitro fertilization procedure with preimplantation screening, embryos produced from the at-risk couple?s sperm and eggs are screened to identify one that is free of the HD mutation, which is then implanted in the woman's uterus. [1]

Genetic testing of a fetus holds special challenges and risks, and some testing facilities choose not to do it. [1] Anyone affected with or at risk for HD should have genetic counseling before starting a pregnancy so that he or she can make the reproductive decisions that are right for him or her.[2]

References

1. The Neruology Channel on Huntington?s Disease
URL: [www.neurologychannel.com]

2. Hennepin County Medical Center Neruology Department
URL: [www.hcmc.org]
Prenatal testing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login