Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD and weight loss

Posted by Kathy 
HD and weight loss
July 06, 2005 09:52AM
I am a long time reader not much of a talker but I have a question concerning weight loss and HD. My very best friend is at risk, his family is completely riddled with HD including his dad there are 7 members with different HD stages right now. I have helped him with setting up his supplement program and we recently started Blueberry extract, he is single and lives alone (He's 25) so I try to cook for him so he gets at least one good meal a day in the last year he has lost about 30 pounds, I am concerned if this is a symptom of the HD have others lost weight? he tells me he just isn't hungry and food just doesn't sound good to him, when he is here or we are someplace he always eats good. I am just worried because from everything I have read I know the more healthy you are the better off you are at putting up a good fight. I guess I just want to help him while he is so open and receptive to all my suggestions(from everything I have read on the this sight he may not always be so willing to take my imput on this ) any sugestions?
Sue
RE: HD and weight loss
July 06, 2005 10:22AM
Hi Kathy

I'm a bit like yourself, visit this site often and read the board but don't often post. In answer to one of your questions, one of the first signs that something was not right with my daughter was her dramatic weight loss as well as minor symptoms ie clumsiness and forgetfullness. We were not aware of HD in the family at that point and worried that she might be anorexic. She was around the age of 24 at that time. It took quite a while to get her back to an adequate weight but since she has, we have managed to maintain an average weight with a lot of encouragement and prompting. She is now 33 and has many other symptoms to worry about but is doing well as far as her weight is concerned. Just keep the encouragement going as long as you can - he's lucky to have a friend like you.

Best wishes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login