Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

falling

Posted by jodanna RN 
falling
December 22, 2003 02:50PM
I am looking for ideas/products/suggestions to help keep my nursing home resident safe from falls. He hasHhuntingtons. He is in a PVC pipe Merry Walker. He can walk independently in the Merry Walker. We have made adjustments to the Merry Walker (placed the wheels on the outside, weighted the bottom, raised the side bars and extented the seat) in an effort to stop him from tipping over the Merry Walker. Staff and family do not want to have him in a geri-chair that would limit his mobility. The PVC type Merry Walker is not built to withstand to constant wear and tear on it from the residents movements.

Please help
RE: falling
December 22, 2003 08:36PM
Contact a "center of excellence" in your area. They can be found on the HDSA.org website. They are groups of Neurologists and neuro-psych people who deal with this.

They may also be able to put you in touch with LTC facilities that focus on victims of HD. That way you can ask them.

I don't know where you are at, but if you dig into this phorum deep enough, there are addresses of some LTC places mentioned that specialize in HD.

They would know. You don't have to re-invent the wheel.

December 22, 2003 08:49PM
Here's one about denial of benifits about a month ago:

"There are two nursing homes that are specializing in hd.Each has a wing for people with hd. Both in Fla. Theres probly more. Heres the number for you to call and get detailed info. 1-813-974-6022. Hope this news will be of help. "

Check the websites mentioned in there also.
January 28, 2004 09:28AM
I work in a LTC facility and we have had an injury with a merry walker last year. We are now in a law suit. I am looking for positive research and successful stories using a merry walker with Alz Patients. The resident that I put in the merry walker did great. She was like someone that had been set free ( w/c and lap buddy). She was trained to take rest breaks and observed always. Late one evening she attempted to go onto the carpet in our entryway. The merry walker tipped over and she sustained injuries. Please be praying that all goes ok.

Vickie Crabtree
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login