for a job for some time now. The interviews go great, but he never

offered any of the positions. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts

are on this.

Thanks
JL
Re: Work background Check
February 02, 2006 11:07PM
I don't know if it would be easy.

Check out the Hippa laws in force, in your area. I know that they've done a lot to pass laws to protect people's medical info.

JL
JL
February 02, 2006 11:18PM
He should never EVER share his at-risk status with a potential employer.

They won't ask - because HD is rare enough that few people will think to ask about it.

He should volunteer nothing about his own health, or that of his family.

But also encourage your friend to keep in mind that the job situation really sucks, right now!

Never mind the unemployment "statistics". They only include those who have just signed up for the first time. They don't include those whose unemployment benefits have run out. They don't include those who are unemployed, but don't include those who don't qualify for unemployment.

JL
February 03, 2006 08:41AM
Not unless the job takes a Government clearance. They will check all kinds of issues like that.

In the Army I had clearance and they checked neigbors and relatives.
March 21, 2006 05:06AM
try this online background check www.unlimited-backgroundcheck.com, to verify all your doubts regarding background checks.

for more info visit [www.unlimited-backgroundcheck.com]

March 21, 2006 07:53AM
If it's for a government clearance, they will ask lots of people. If they ask family, then they may find out that way.

What kind of job needs a background check like that?
March 21, 2006 12:27PM
Fred - I had a TS clearance also. The reason they dig really deep into your background is to find anything you could be blackmailed for. Being HD positive could fit that.

Will
JFB
March 21, 2006 02:20PM
While I can't imagine how one could be blackmailed by someone because of HD in the famly, But I have not updated mine on "fitness for duty" reasons. The stess of CG has decreased my ability to perform in a resonpsible manner at all times.
March 21, 2006 02:26PM
You can be disqualified from a TS clearance for a number of reasons. Affairs, diseases, bad credit, etc.

December 23, 2011 05:29AM
Terry had a government job with a secret clearence, but not top secret, when he was diagnosed. He never lost his clearence because of it and continued to work until he decided he could no longer work. I don't think they worry that one could be blackmailed for having HD but knowing the prognosis of the disease they think one might possibly be tempted to divulge information in exchange for financial gain or other compensation. Our at risk son received his secret clearance since his father was diagnosed so I doubt that having siblings with HD has any bearing on the situation. It's just tough to get a job. It took my daughter 6 months to find one and I know of others that it's taking much longer.

Audrey
March 27, 2012 02:26PM
Does anyone here know of anyone who has lost TS govt clearance after testing positive? My husband is getting tested next month, but maybe we better not proceed if it will risk his job. His job is not at all physical but requires clearance. Now I'm nervous...
March 27, 2012 03:54PM
Perhaps your husband could test anonymously? I have a ts clearance working with the government and didn't want it on my medical record. I paid 500 out of pocket to get tested without insurance so I wouldn't have to worry. When I was asked about my parents' health for my clearance, I just told them my mom was sick and didn't go into details.
March 27, 2012 04:11PM
Testing anonymously might be a problem under the Personal Conduct criteria for a clearance. See [usmilitary.about.com] See also the section on Emotional, Mental and Personality Disorders at [usmilitary.about.com] In that section it looks like having the HD gene with no symptoms that would cause a work problem would be OK.

I didn't see anything about genetic conditions in general. I think honesty is probably the best policy. I recall that during my TS investigation that I admitted to some personal history that I would not have wanted anyone else in the world to know about. That didn't hurt my clearance.

Will (Retired USMC)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 04:12PM by Will.
March 27, 2012 07:19PM
Thanks for your responses. He will test anonymously because our insurance won't pay anyway (high deductible that we rarely meet), so we might as well keep the info as private as possible. However, I know he would never skirt around the truth on a security clearance interview-- he goes through a polygraph anyway. Besides, he's honest to a fault. Thanks for the links, Will. He's not military, but nonetheless, I have to believe that it would be considered discrimination by the govt if he were fully capable of performing his 100 percent desk job, and they fired him for having the HD gene with no symptoms. On the other hand, given the hefty disability policy we just took out, maybe that's not such a bad way to go :-) Just joking...
March 28, 2012 08:50AM
Glad to help. Hopefully he'll test negative and you won't have to worry about it. Don't forget you can always cancel a disability or long term care policy.

Will
March 28, 2012 09:03AM
I know you are kidding about the disablity policy but I can tell you first hand they love your money but hate to pay out. Fortunately I had one in place when I found out I had HD but read a little on the net about their tactics. I need exercise and to be active per my Doctors but I'm afraid to go out much and frankly cover my 6 in case they send out investigators (not doing anything wrong), I know it sounds paranoid but just realistic.
Even my attorneys say so. (keeping them in perspective.)

This is a good post for me. My son is military and will someday have to deal with these issues when they plan their family.

Good Luck.
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login