Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Another HD Angel

Posted by howard 
Another HD Angel
February 19, 2018 03:05PM
I realize that this site was much busier before the advent of Facebook. I just never took to the facebook sites. I used to be on this site all the time back in the day. Today I lost my daughter and best friend Allison to JHD. It was about a 19 year battle. She was home with me until the end. If any of the oldtimers are still around, please remember her.

Stephentown, NY
Allison S. King , 35, formerly of Cumberland and Warwick, Rhode Island died at home in Stephentown NY on Feb. 19'th after a 19 year battle with Juvenile Huntington's Disease. Allison was the daughter of Howard F. King III, her caregiver and best friend, with whom she lived and the late Toni J. King. She also leaves her brother Robert King of Waltham, MA and her maternal grandmother Margaret Richardson of Warner Robins, GA. She was the granddaughter of the late Robert Richardson and the late Howard F. King Jr. She also leaves her many pets including a dog, 2 cats, a mini horse, and a pot belly pig and her aide Ann Calabro of Grafton, NY who helped care for her.

Allison was a 2004 magna cum laude graduate of the University of Rhode Island despite having already been diagnosed with JHD. Many will remember her working in her dad's store Parkway Convenience in Warwick as a child and young adult. Services will be private. Donations to the Stephentown NY Volunteer Fire and Rescue, 396 Rt. 43 Stephentown NY 12168, would be appreciated.
Re: Another HD Angel
February 20, 2018 12:36PM
Howard, very sorry to hear that you have lost Allison. You will meet her someday on the other side. Prayers to you and your family. This is a very tough time but you will see the light again, and hopefully soon! We're all here to support you even if we don't log on very often. Best wishes, Ty
February 25, 2018 05:29PM
Howard,

Sure I remember you and Allison. I also don't like Facebook, but do check in here occasionally. It's a small world - I was once a commercial loan officer for RI Hospital Trust and worked at a branch in Warwick out by the airport.

I have just passed all screening and have been accepted into the SIGNAL trial at Duke. I should start in a couple weeks with either the drug or placebo. This is not gene therapy - it's an attempt to fix the brain parts that create the symptoms. I'll be in what's called Cohort B with around 200 subjects in the US. I've seen the results from 36 people in Cohort A and they're astonishing.

Prayers for both. You were a wonderful father.

Will
March 29, 2018 06:55PM
Howard I very rarely come on this site anymore but thought I'd check in today. I read your book about Allison and I remember you posting about her back when I was more active on this site. Please accept my condolences on her loss. I always thought you were a wonderful father, it's a rare man who takes care of his child as well as you did. Not that I'm picking on men, we just aren't wired the same way. I wish you peace Howard. You did a good job and now you deserve a rest.

Marg
eve
July 15, 2018 03:52PM
Howard, sorry this is a belated sorry for your loss. I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I registered as a user quite awhile ago. I remember being so impressed with your compassion, wisdom and determination to do everything you could for Allison. I believe you've been an inspiration to many and your wise advise has helped so many. As Marg stated, you deserve a rest. Be the very best you can to yourself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login