Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

IBS and Huntington Disease

Posted by mikee 
IBS and Huntington Disease
September 17, 2015 08:30PM
Hello all, I haven't posted much lately but I'm still here.

I was wondering if there is any relationship between HD and IBS. It seems that when you get down to it, you always wonder if HD could be connected. So much is not known. I haven't spoken with my Neuro yet but will in the coming months.

Any information will be appreciated.

Mike
Re: IBS and Huntington Disease
September 20, 2015 12:27PM
Never heard of that one . It's possible that it has never been reported or associated.

P
October 20, 2015 12:59PM
Hi, Mikee!

My son has HD. He goes between bouts of constipation and diarrhea which sounds like IBS, but it's due to HD's effect on the nerves, which then affects the muscles of elimination. I just try and make sure he eats lots of fruits and vegetables which help with the digestion run in a regular fashion with fiber as well. If he gets the runs, I make rice pudding or serve rice with dinner which binds the stomach. Hope this helps.
October 28, 2015 09:11AM
Thanks for the reply. I just don't feel like it's IBS but I probably won't change a physicians mind. This seems to come in cycles and like IBS stress doesn't help.

Mike
October 30, 2015 11:38AM
I am not a physician and I don't know much about IBS, though I have a sister who says she suffers from IBS on occasion when she in under stress. She does not have HD.

What I have noticed with my wife, who has HD, is that she gets "irritable" in general when she gets gas. One could argue that when gas results in belching, perhaps it is more due to huffing and puffing her way through meals, taking in too much air. She has more of this going on if she is leaning back in the chair when I feed her.

She also has the lower end gas, lower GI, and that seems to give her some discomfort, certainly before passing gas. I sorta wonder if that variety of gas (flatulence) is due to the protein in the smoothies, not to mention that everyone get some form of gas from all sorts of healthy foods and not necessarily just dairy products (which she has some intolerance for lactose). She takes lactaid pills with yogurt parfaits.

So there you have it. I have only answered a question with a question, no help here! Can one get air-ingested "gas" which is not belched, which runs through the lower GI and contributes discomfort in the form of IBS? That is something I would consider, but don't know if it can contribute to IBS in the classic sense.

Good luck Mikee, I will check back to see what others have to say. Ty
November 01, 2015 08:54AM
Thanks Ty.

Mike
August 21, 2016 09:06AM
Wow, can't believe it has been almost a year since this discussion. Time flies fast.

mikee, just checking in to see if you learned more. I again am finding my wife to be very restless in sitting down to eat and a large part of that, in the last couple days, is what I believe to be constipation. Coincidentally, she has not been eating as much of her fruit bowl in the last couple days, so that can be causing "irritable" stuff right there.

I have never given her a laxative before, but looking to give her one today as it is unusual for her to go two plus days without going number 2. It makes sense that if there is something going on with the digestive track, however labeled, it can make one less than relaxed when it comes to sitting down and eating in a relaxed fashion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login