Re: huntington's wheelchairs/restraints
March 28, 2010 05:44PM
Must'a been time for an update. smiling smiley
February 13, 2012 10:39AM
SteveI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Must'a been time for an update. smiling smiley

My mom has HD for 18 years now. she has a Broda chair and as a CNA i recommended it. heres the issue im having now. With her rocking back and forth she is tipping the chair over. Yes she has stablerlizers in the side to stop the chair from tipping over to the side. She has now been tipping it over from the front. She was sent to the ER the other night because she tipped it over and smashed her head. She does have the seatbelt that goes between her legs, with that she has started to get marks on her legs because of the padded belts.Her room is padded with mats when she is in bed.

The nursing home she is in wanted to transfer her to Laurel Lake Nursing and Rehab Center in Lee, MA seeing as they specialize in HD. No offense to Jimmy Pollard and Laurel Lake Nursing and Rehab Center, but we refused just for the fact that mom has been in the home she is in for a long time. Her Rehab nurses are in frequent contact with Laurel Lake and we appriciate them for helping us.

My main concern is what can we do to protect her from tipping the chair forward?? any suggestions will be helpful

Thank you,
Keeley
lsh
February 16, 2012 02:07PM
My mom also had an issue with moving, blowing through brakes on her chair moving backwards. Best thing for her was using a seat cushion with a pummel (post) in between her legs. That helped immensely. It kept her from sliding out and just had great cushioning. And reclining the chair back a bit. She had velcro strap over each shoulder which also helped. The nursing home was not familiar with HD until we walked thru the door! Now they are well educated due to us and mom.
February 12, 2015 05:55AM
I am a former Broda Sales Rep (and in regards to "bringing the post back to life" - the purpose was to help and to educate), Broda has front and rear stabilizers that, when installed, extend out from the frame and are about 1/4" off the floor - they are highly effective at stopping the chair from tipping. Broda also offers lateral stabilizers that minimize the potential for tipping the chair over from side to side. Lastly, Broda has a "new" (as of about 2010) thigh belt that is soft, washable, neoprene and not as bulky as the vinyl thigh belt. It's primary purpose is positioning - to keep the hips in place in the chair and prevent sliding out onto the floor.

In my eight years with Broda, I placed many people with HD in Broda Wheelchairs and while the chair is not for everyone, it does work well for many. In most cases, I witnessed a calming of movement. I also commonly witnessed a reduction in anxiety (when the product is properly used) due to the cradling effect of the chair. Lastly, in nearly all cases there was an increase in social activity - the getting out of bed and back in a social setting effect.

My Mother did not have HD, but in her later years she experienced similar physical challenges (and associated skin integrity challenges). Upon placement in a Broda 785 with Huntington's package, her pressure sores cleared up, her behaviors improved markedly, and she was visibly more comfortable and calm. For her, and for my family, the Broda was priceless.

"Since at the beginning and end of our lives we are completely dependent on the kindness of others, how can it be that in the middle we would neglect kindness towards others?" - The Dalai Lama

I hope this helps. As my Mother used to say "it is all about the ripple, keep the ripple going" we don't who or how it might impact another.

Thanks,
Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login