Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

i hate HD

Posted by arnold620 
i hate HD
July 13, 2015 06:43PM
I hate HD. I hate what it's done to my dad. I hate what it's done to me. I've been the one and only caregiver for my dad for a few years now and each day gets harder and harder. I miss the fun loving, joking, happy, positive man he once was. I miss not dreading going over to see him every day. I miss spending time together, not having to worry about saying the wrong thing that will set off a mood swing. I see how angry and miserable he gets and I want so badly to make things better for him. Sometimes I blame myself for not doing more, but then I realize I'm doing all that I can and that the symptoms from this disease are out of my control. Thats a crappy feeling. I'm 25 now and feel I have given up my young adult life to care for him. I don't have a job, he takes up all of my time and energy and its exhausting. I have to be there for him 24/7. This is not how I planned on living out my 20s and I hate it. I don't resent him for it, this isn't his fault, I just wish so badly things could be different. I wouldn't wish HD on my worst enemy. I have no hope that things will get better, the disease will only progress and get worse. I tested positive for HD as well almost 2 years ago and can't help but see my future every time I look at him. I do hope they find a cure, or any type of preventative medication for this disease so that future generations do not have to suffer through it. I just needed to vent. This forum is so helpful in reading the things all of you have to go through, I find comfort in knowing I'm not alone in this battle. Thanks to all of you for being amazing, kind-hearted people.
Re: i hate HD
July 13, 2015 07:53PM
don't know where you are Arnold, but there is always a cold one for you, something cooking on the Big Green Egg and someone to talk with here in the south of Maryland. And you are spot on, living with HD is the pits for pHDs and for those trying to give some quality life for our pHDs.

Fred Lothrop
JFB
July 13, 2015 07:57PM
I have read your post Arnold
do what you can and know you are doing something very good.
July 14, 2015 08:39AM
Caring for someone with Hd is a big undertaking and you should be proud for doing what you can for your dad. Is it possible to have someone come into the home to give you a break or to find a facility where he can get the help that's needed? It's important for you to enjoy being young and do what makes you happy. You can still be there for your dad without being his full time caretaker. I too hope that a cure or treatment is found soon. I have 3 at risk kids.
pal
July 22, 2015 08:45AM
I hear you ,,my husband of 26 years the most active person I know and one of the reasons I married in the past 2 weeks is having bad apathy and taken to lots of sleeping , will not bath and uses to could not stand to be dirty so I ahte it as well thanks for post
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login