Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

endoscopy and colonoscopy with Huntington's

Posted by Margie 
endoscopy and colonoscopy with Huntington's
May 25, 2015 10:15AM
Hi, All,
I have HD and my anemia got worse recently. I have always assumed my anemia problems were due to my menstrual problems. However, my doctor wants me to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy to see if I have other bleeding going on in my body.

I have to do it in the hospital because I am a higher risk patient.

My doctor wants me to do two days of liquid only diet and GI cleanse before the procedures and I am wondering if my HD will be able to tolerate not eating for two days.

Has anyone else with HD done these procedures? Did you have any problems with it?

Margie
Re: endoscopy and colonoscopy with Huntington's
May 26, 2015 04:13PM
Margie,

I had successful colonoscopies and major hemorrhoid surgery without problems, but I'm still aymptomatic. I know there have been some issues with anesthesia for HD patients. Here's a reference article from NIH that you might refer your doctor to. Good luck! [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Will
May 26, 2015 05:14PM
Thanks so much, Will!!!! Clapping

Margie
May 29, 2015 07:57AM
Hi Margie. I am symptomatic and I have had both. It is probably more of your progression in the disease that will make the difference. Personally I didn't have any problems but I can understand the concern about the diet before the procedure. If I had to guess there may be certain things that may give you more energy etc. Maybe you can google the subject. Good luck.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login