Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

lying

Posted by Chicago_t 
lying
March 11, 2015 04:48PM
I just wanted to ask if anyone else had an issue with your PhD lying in the early stages.I know memory could be affected in HD so when my wife says something and then says she didn't. I understand the memory part but what about blatant lies.Thanks
Re: lying
March 11, 2015 09:57PM
They may not be blatant lies. There can be a short circuit in reasoning where someone pays attention to just one aspect of a situation and then draws conclusions that are unwarranted. A friend of mine's HD positive mother used to do this. If the plumber made a call at the house next door and she didn't recognize him, then she concluded that her neighbor was having an affair. If her cousin had red eyes, it wasn't an allergy, it was drug abuse. There can also be a problem where someone dreams something and thinks that it really happened. If it seems like she really believes them, then she is probably not deliberately telling lies. This is not a very common symptom, but we do see it.
March 12, 2015 06:06AM
Thanks for the info! I read an article by Phil Hardt called the softer symptoms of HD and he mentions lying, it was informative but I just wanted to see if anyone had experienced it on here.Thanks
March 12, 2015 09:39AM
Chicago_t,

I wouldn't say that I have experienced Donnie just all-out lying, but I can ask him to do something or ask him if he did something I told him to do (ex. give his little dog Mollie a bath) I ask him for a week to give her a bath, and everyday he would say he forgot..... I knew he didn't forget, he just didn't want to do it. So I deal with stuff like that a lot.

Liz
March 12, 2015 09:40AM
Heres the article if anyone else is interested.[www.hdac.org]
March 12, 2015 09:41AM
Thanks for the reply eteeftaller, its more of a constantly changing what she says, or changing stories so to speak.any info helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 09:53AM by Chicago_t.
March 13, 2015 09:53AM
Don't forget people with HD can lose drive and their desire to initiate tasks. Forgetting is also a real issue as well. Then there is the depression factor and fatigue. There are a lot of things I would like to do but something in there holds you back. Hope this helps.

Mike
March 13, 2015 11:04AM
Thanks,Mikee.Any info helps me understand more.
March 13, 2015 01:18PM
Mikee,
what you said in your first sentence is sooo true. I will only try to give Donnie one thing per day to do around the house. If I try to ask for more than that, he seems to get very over-whellemed and just completely shuts down.
If I ever say anything about how much of a mess Mollie (his dog) is making he will just start crying so I've just stopped.
EXa. today, his job was to sweep the steps that go to the basement and infront of the basement door. when I came home, I could tell he had swept the stairs but not in front of the door. when I ask him he said "I did sweep in front of the door" I thought he was gonna cry so I stopped. He said " I will go and do it again."
I try my hardest to be as patient as I can.
I know that he can't help it.

Liz
March 18, 2015 05:16PM
I had to call the police once when my husband got extremely agitated and started hitting me. He told the officers that I was stealing money from him and wouldn't let him go anywhere (His license was taken away as he was a high risk for accident). Luckily one of them had HD in his family and recognized the symptoms, so they called the paramedics instead of taking him to jail. Hospital let him come home once he calmed down and his doctor had him come in next morning to change meds.
I found what he believed to be true, and what the rest of us knew as fact, could be quite opposite at times. We learned to just go with the flow as long as it didn't compromise his or our safety. It helps too that my family is very understanding and supportive. We've had our share of illnesses on my side of the family (i.e. Parkinsons, Bi-Polar, essential tremors, Lupus, Heart disease, to name a few), so we've learned to make the best of life, regardless of what struggles we are faced with.
It's been seven years since diagnosis and he communicates less and less every day, but on the bright side, is still able to walk around and goes to neuro exercise class twice a week. His behavioral issues have leveled off now that he is on the right meds. His balance is getting worse, but has only had a few scary falls. So far, so good.
March 20, 2015 07:10AM
Thanks for the info.My wife has never hit me but has threatened violence.So hard to try and talk to her when she will say one thing and then change the story in the same conversation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login