Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Vitamins and Supplements

Posted by sdboltz888 
Vitamins and Supplements
November 09, 2014 04:20PM
Does anyone who is showing symptoms have any experience taking vitamins and or supplements that have garnered a positive result? Any information would be helpful.
Re: Vitamins and Supplements
November 10, 2014 04:59PM
I'm gene positive with a low CAG count (40) and am fortunate to be still symptom free at age 68. I began my supplement regimen when I tested positive in 2003. After a few months I noticed my brain seemed to be sharper. My short term memory seemed better and driving seemed to have improved. I felt more comfortable driving right next to barriers.

It seemed like my eyesight had improved, but my annual eye exam showed it was the same. All this is purely subjective, but I feel they have and are continuing to help.

Welcome. You're among friends here.

Will
November 12, 2014 06:58PM
Will, that is awesome, glad to hear!

To be honest, us caregivers (my wife has HD) would do ourselves well if we actually ate as well as the people we are preparing foods for!

Seriously, I serve up a big ole bowl of fruit for my wife every morning as she has a voracious appetite. My son is in high school and I cut him up some fruit before he heads off to school. I should be eating what they are eating. Supplements, not sure which ones, but I find that some of the diet and exercise recommended would be good for ALL of us.

I am sitting on my butt, very much sedentary style, while I type this. Exercise is good
November 12, 2014 06:58PM
Will, that is awesome, glad to hear!

To be honest, us caregivers (my wife has HD) would do ourselves well if we actually ate as well as the people we are preparing foods for!

Seriously, I serve up a big ole bowl of fruit for my wife every morning as she has a voracious appetite. My son is in high school and I cut him up some fruit before he heads off to school. I should be eating what they are eating. Supplements, not sure which ones, but I find that some of the diet and exercise recommended would be good for ALL of us.

I am sitting on my butt, very much sedentary style, while I type this. Exercise is good
February 18, 2015 02:51AM
There are a lot of supplements available. You just need to choose the right one for your condition to get the right nutrients you need. And don;t forget to ask your doctor first before taking supplements
March 23, 2015 07:46PM
Hi Will, I know you have shared it before but could you share the vitamins you take?
March 26, 2015 06:54AM
Sure.

Huntington’s Disease Specific

• CON-CRET Creatine HCL one capsule daily 750mg (Amazon.com)
• Wild Blueberry Concentrate - equivalent of a cup of berries – morning (Brownwoodacres.com)
• Pomegranate Concentrate – equivalent of one fruit – morning (Brownwoodacres.com)
• Fish Oil capsules - 3 a day with meals - 1,800mg EPA total (Twinlab MegaTwin from Vitaminshoppe.com)
• Vit E - 400 IU – morning (Drugstore – all natural type)
• Choline - 350mg - morning (Vitaminshoppe.com)
• Trehalose – 15g morning (Swanson brand from Amazon.com)

General Purpose

• Multivitamin – morning (Drugstore)
• Vit C - 1,000mg – morning (Drugstore)
• Glucosamine sulfate - 1,000mg – morning (Drugstore)
• Calcium 650mg – morning (2 extra strength TUMS Smoothies) (Drugstore)
• Magnesium 250mg – morning (Drugstore)
• 81mg aspirin – morning (Drugstore)

Medications

• Testosterone Replacement Therapy – 60.75mg testosterone (AndroGel) daily – Not HD related. Started 2009.

Side note. Copy and Paste is the greatest invention since beer!

Will
March 31, 2015 07:28PM
Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login