Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Protandim - Reducing Oxidative Stress

Posted by Sally 
Protandim - Reducing Oxidative Stress
May 22, 2014 07:20PM
I have been doing some research and found that oxidative stress increases symptoms of HD. I was recently introduced to a product called Protandim that has been proven to reduce a person's oxidative stress levels on average of 40% in the first 30 days. I have started my husband on it and can't believe the difference (although he doesn't seem to see a difference). Has anyone else heard of this product? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Protandim - Reducing Oxidative Stress
May 23, 2014 10:24AM
I have started my husband on it and can't believe the difference

Hi , I have a question Did you see any difference in symptoms, or not ?
thanks
May 23, 2014 04:47PM
[www.sciencebasedmedicine.org]

Doesn't sound promising.

Will
May 23, 2014 07:39PM
Yes!! The first thing I noticed was his sleep. He was actually able to sleep 8 hours without waking. I also noticed a change in his attitude. He became friendly again....even singing. This was probably because of the sleep, but still an improvement. Also, I noticed his twitches disappear. He is only starting to show signs and has them when he is tired, but they were there.

Will....that article is a lady's opinion. What about this study on www.pubmed.gov? The site is where doctor's get there information on products and is not just an opinion.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Or this one as it relates to Muscular Dystrophy saying it reduced the level of oxidative stress.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I also think you will find there have been no clinical studies because it is not a drug....it is all natural.
May 30, 2014 04:49AM
Yes!! The first thing I noticed was his sleep. He was actually able to sleep 8 hours without waking. I also noticed a change in his attitude. He became friendly again....even singing. This was probably because of the sleep, but still an improvement. Also, I noticed his twitches disappear. He is only starting to show signs and has them when he is tired, but they were there.

That`s very interessting, thanks for sharing Sally
What`s the daily dosage that husband is taking?
May 30, 2014 05:28AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 04:28PM by Sally.
May 30, 2014 05:38AM
Posted once but not sure what happened to it. Everyone takes one pull per day. If you are in a disease state, you can start with two to get it in your system faster.
May 31, 2014 05:46AM
I have posted twice and for some reason neither is showing so I hope this one works. Protandim is a one per day dose, however, if someone is in a disease state, it is suggested you take two per day for the first while and then go back to one per day. One husband is taking one per day because he is only the being stages of HD.
June 01, 2014 01:44PM
Thank you very much for sharing Sally! Hope your husband is doing better!

From what you describe i am wondering if this is an excellenet treatment to delay onset for HD. I got a lot of faith in this product. 40% reduction of oxidative stress is a lot! Could this delay HD for years? Even decades?
June 01, 2014 03:42PM
Protandim = LDN. Both will be a waste of your money IMHO. If you want to take something that might help with HD, take creatine, fish oil and wild blueberries. They can assist with neurogenesis.

The major benefit of Protandim and LDN is to the wallets of the manufacturers. Runningfor Life - you're about as naïve as they get. Do your homework before jumping on bogus medicine bandwagons.

Respectfully,

Will
June 02, 2014 01:52AM
Well said Will. It is just as good, if not better, to eat a diet rich in anti oxidants, and adding anti oxidant supplements. Will is a good example of this, so I don't get what all the whoop-la is about some magic pill. It's not magic, it just has some anti oxidants in it like turmeric, etc
June 02, 2014 04:30PM
Anti-oxidants are effective on a 1:1 basis. In other words, you can't eat enough anti-oxidants to keep up with all the free radicals in your body. Prodantim works on a cellular level and upregulates your body to work like its own pharmacy. It has been proven to reduce oxidative stress by up to 40% in 30 days. Can anti-oxidants do that? You could never ingest enough anti-oxidants on a daily basis to your body the same amount of good. IMHO. I have emailed my husband's neurologist and if I hear back before his appointment in October, I will let you know his opinion. As we all know, the chances of him emailing me back are probably slim. Doctors are way too busy here in Canada. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 04:32PM by Sally.
June 02, 2014 05:11PM
My doctors here in Vancouver, Canada...are Never too busy for anything of useful value.
June 02, 2014 05:13PM
I wish it was the same here sad smiley
June 02, 2014 05:34PM
I know, I think I am just fortunate
June 02, 2014 06:52PM
I actually had to send the email through his HD clinic nurse who only works on Tuesday and Thursday. I sent it Friday so there is no way I would have heard anything yet. sad smiley
June 03, 2014 04:03PM
Will: you have to read the text, man. Look what it says: Protandim has proven to reduce oxidative stress by 40% within 30 days. Yes, the product is based on anti-oxidants. But it response on a cellular level. Which means you will Get different effectivancy from Protandim on HD than just eating anti-oxidant stuff like blueberries.

And Then you have to read Sallys story. The response from her husband is fenomenal. I mean: its hard to give the placeboeffect credit for stop shaking his hand.

I read the scienthist Recently figured out the huntington protein was not the problem. It says that it actually is protective. And that the stress is causing the development of HD. To me it sounds like reducing oxidative stress would be an excellent idea.

I find it hard to see side effects since Protandim is natural.

Considering all these stuff i will happily spend 150 bucks on Protandim.
June 03, 2014 04:04PM
Will: you have to read the text, man. Look what it says: Protandim has proven to reduce oxidative stress by 40% within 30 days. Yes, the product is based on anti-oxidants. But it response on a cellular level. Which means you will Get different effectivancy from Protandim on HD than just eating anti-oxidant stuff like blueberries.

And Then you have to read Sallys story. The response from her husband is fenomenal. I mean: its hard to give the placeboeffect credit for stop shaking his hand.

I read the scienthist Recently figured out the huntington protein was not the problem. It says that it actually is protective. And that the stress is causing the development of HD. To me it sounds like reducing oxidative stress would be an excellent idea.

I find it hard to see side effects since Protandim is natural.

Considering all these stuff i will happily spend 150 bucks on Protandim.
June 03, 2014 04:42PM
Hope the right link comes through but read this article.

[en.hdbuzz.net]
June 05, 2014 04:02PM
Running for life, the HD protein is absolutely the problem. The article you read is just one of many in the last decade or so to show that the protein aggregates are less toxic than the soluble version of the protein.

And much to my surprise, there is indeed a placebo effect on movement in HD. The ACR-16 trial showed that clearly.

Just because a supplement or medication is 'natural' that doesn't mean it might not have side effects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login