Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Huntington Disease

Posted by Paula 
Huntington Disease
August 01, 2001 04:28PM
A friend was just notified his grandmother has Huntington Disease, His Mother has the Symptoms but has not been tested yet. My friend has been experiencing unexplained seizures, He has had a seizure every 4 months for 1 1/2 years now, he is 29 years old. Does this sound like a sign of the Huntington disease? The Neurologist have giving him test that he passed and he has not been diagnosed with anything at this time.
Joy
RE: Huntington Disease
August 02, 2001 02:14PM
Paula, when you say "given the test", do you mean he was tested for the HD gene? If it was the HD test, do you know the number of CAG repeats they found?
August 06, 2001 06:53AM
Joy,

He has not yet been tested for HD. He has been tested for seizure disorders. His Grandmother is the only one diagnosed with HD at this time, his mother has yet to be tested. The Doctors have not found anything that would be causing the Seizures. My question is, would seizures be a symptom of HD?

Thank You,
Paula
Marsha
August 06, 2001 09:11AM
Seizures are associated with the juvenile version of HD and are not a common symptom in adult HD. Then too, he doesn't show any neurological signs of HD. I would think that the the doctors should be looking for other causes of the seizures.
Joy
August 06, 2001 02:49PM
The seizures could be caused by something else, whether or not your friend has the HD gene. HD symptoms vary so widely, that you couldn't say for sure that seizures are not a symptom (though I would guess along with Marsha that they are probably not) or that they are. I've known people with seizures where the cause was never discovered.

Sorry we couldn't be more helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login