Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

What are the chances....

Posted by karela 
What are the chances....
July 23, 2001 04:16PM
Hello everyone,
I have been searching the internet and have not found the answer to my Question- What are the chances of my husband (Rob) to have HD when his grandfather died from it, his uncle is now in a nursing home from it and his mother died from breast cancer having never been tested. Is it the same as the others- 50%? or could it be less? I am such a worrier- Is it really the best thing not to be tested because you can't do anything about it anyway? I pray for all of us who have HD or have a friend or family member with it. Thanks for any info that you can give me Karela
Marsha
RE: What are the chances....
July 23, 2001 07:26PM
Karela, your husband's chances of having the gene are considered to be 25 percent, or half of his mother's 50 percent chance.

Although age of onset can range from 6 months into the 80s, most.people with the gene will become symptomatic in their middle years. The average age of onset is 39.5. Every year after that that your MIL lived and didn't have HD symptoms, the likelihood that she had the gene decreased.

Presymptomatic testing is a highly individual decision. Many people prefer not to know but some find living with uncertainty very difficult. Sometimes people who have decided not to test will change their minds as they get older and find that HD is occupying their thoughts too much and they are constantly looking for symptoms in themselves. There is no right or wrong decision, just what is best for the person at the time.

I will be thinking about you and Rob, hoping he is negative for the gene, and wishing you strength!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login