Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

anorexia, eating obsessions

Posted by carroll Anderson 
My daughter is 27 and I am sure she has HUntington's. She has an appointment for testing at John Hopkins in September. Two behaviors that I noted in her uncle that she has is eating obsessions. First she was anorexia and now eats only a few limited items. She went from being very pretty, neat and dressed with class to- wearing clthes that are large, torn and the same outfits over and over. At home she wheres only an old huge torn t-shirt and wraps in a sheet. Constantly! You never see her with anythingelse on. Her uncle had pecular ways of eating and fearsa of food, He dressed in a large black trench coat, winter knit hat and rubber boots regardless of the weather. Are these common behaviors for other Huntington patients?
RE: anorexia, eating obsessions
July 19, 2001 09:08AM
Hi Carroll, do you have any Family history that would lead you to believe your Daughter or Uncle had Huntingtons?
Hi Ron: Yes there is a family history of Huntington's Chlorea. My husband died of Huntingtons. My daughter's uncle is his brother. My father-in-law died of huntington's as well as 8 of his 10 siblings. My daughter also has been through a major depression and is showing problems with dealing with everyday life. Sheis also having some omvement disorders. All this is why I wondered if the anorexia (or other eating obsessions) and strange dress could also be symptoms.
pamela
RE: anorexia, eating obsessions
July 26, 2001 03:53PM
My father has HD and we believe it came from his mother. My father is presently bedridden...in the last stages, I guess.

My grandmother was known to wear very strange clothes. I had heard that she would wear boots (in the summer) and a strange coat. I'm thinking this is all part of the dementia as don't mental patients usually lose the ability to care for themselves in an appropriate manner.

I know that my father was always immaculate. He had to have the best clothes (only from Barney's), the most expensive. He took several showers a day, etc. As the disease progressed and he was at the stage where he walked as if drunk (or at least even a casual observer could tell something was definitely "wrong" with him) he didn't care at all about his appearance. He wore stained clothes outside the home, my mother would have to tell him to brush his teeth, shower, etc. He, like your daughter, would only eat certain things. There was a candy kick for awhile...

So, I suppose some of the symptoms you describe about your daughter sound about right. I'm sorry.

Pam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login