Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Caregiver questions

Posted by Sheila 
Caregiver questions
July 03, 2001 09:39PM
I am a caregiver for a huntingtons woman age 43, I am new to the huntington and have many question, This woman is in the late stages and unable to do anything for her self, lots of trouble swallowing any type of food, because of her trouble eating we have to give her straned foods, how long willl this last? Thanks for any ideas
RE: Caregiver questions
July 17, 2001 10:47AM
Hi Shelia

There are few excellent resources that can help you in casing for this lady.

A Caregiver's Handbook for Advanced-Stage Huntington Disease
[hdlighthouse.org]

Coping with Speech and Swallowing Difficulties in Huntington's Disease
[hdlighthouse.org] and

A Physicians Guide to the Management of Huntington's Disease
[hdlighthouse.org]

How long will it last? That is difficult to answer. Since she is in the advanced stages she may need to have a swallowing test down to determine the level of deterioration and whether or not she is aspirating liquids or food. If the answer is yes, then consideration may have to be given about a feeding tube. If she hasn't made any advanced directives or living wills, her legal guardians may have to make that decision for her if she isn't competent to make it herself. A lot depends on the persons quality of life and general health.

You didn't indicate whether you are a family member or staff in a facility. In either case.....THANK YOU for caring enough about your HD person enough to seek help for her!!

My daughter, Kelly, died from complications of HD a few months shy of her 31st birthday. I would be more then happy to communicate with you if you'd like.

Love,
Jean & Kelly Miller
(in heart/in spirit)
Email: jemiller*at*tampabay.rr.com

Help CURE HD Greeting Cards
[community.webshots.com]

Huntington's Caregivers Web Directory
[www.geocities.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login