Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

targeted aggression

Posted by Stacy 
Stacy
targeted aggression
June 21, 2001 03:20PM
HD runs in my family and recently my brother was diagnosed with HD. He has been/is experiencing "rages" and "outbursts". Our concern is that his rage now seems to target his 11 year old son. I understand this can be symptomatic in HD individuals, but was wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of situation and what did you do? What techniques, if any, worked for you? Did you have to seek outside help...if yes, who?
RE: targeted aggression
June 21, 2001 06:12PM
My brother also has great rages, mostly aimed at my mom, who takes it patiently when he visits her. My brother will never go to a doctor, but I believe there are medicines which might help with the anger. I've also noticed if you don't argue back but agree for awhile and then change the subject or get him distracted by some other project the anger goes away for awhile. How hard it will be for a young boy, though! Seems like counseling for the boy would be one way to go, too. Just my thoughts. I think people with HD are often aware and depressed by their uncontrollable anger, which makes it sad for them, too.
Stacy
June 21, 2001 11:14PM
Debbie,

Thanks for your input. I will be sure and pass this info. along to my family. We have discussed counseling for my nephew, as well as for my brother and hopefully will start it soon. Again thanks.
MY husband who has since died, had a targeted aggression aimed at our teenage son who was adopted. It got so bad that between the problems of being adopted and my husband's aggression, my son temporarly left our home. When he left the anger was targeted at other in the family. My husband was put on several different types of medicines to control the anger which did help some.I think the best method if you can do it, is to walk away and not argue with the person. A lot of times this will help. Many times me and my children would leave and when we returned my husband would be laying in bed crying,saying he was sorry that the disease was making him lose control.

My daughter now has Huntington.s So far she has not showed much aggression but is paranoid, apathetic.
July 12, 2001 07:01AM
My husband,also has had rages and outburst most of our marriage. We didn't know it was hd. related until last yr. Our sons, who ever is around is is the target. His hd. doctor has put him on tegratol and zoloft. It has really calmed him down a great deal. He still targets but not to the degree he was. Life is more at ease. It was like walking on egg shells for quite sometime. Thank God for medicines. Paula
annon
July 26, 2001 09:20AM
OKAY.. this is NOT going to be popular... I'm so sorry to say this.. BUT... our children should NOT have to deal with this emotional abuse..it can cause psychological damage for a lifetime.. destroy self esteem and worthiness. Especially if it's beginning when the child is young.. EVEN understanding it is the disease causing this... it will be damaging to the children... I feel in SOME cases... arrangements should be made for the HD parent to live elsewhere so the children have a better more emotionally stable start on life..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login