Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Care HD results?

Posted by Marsha 
Marsha
Care HD results?
May 25, 2001 03:51PM
The Care HD clinical trials results have been analyzed but not officially announced. The internet rumor mill is working overtime. We keep hearing that CoQ10 has been effective in slowing the progress of HD. No one has any information about how effective it is or what the recommended dosage will be.

As soon as the results are officially announced, we'll have them on the home page.

If the rumors are true, then this will be the first time that anything has slowed HD in people.

And the significance goes much further. CoQ10 delays onset and slows progression in the HD mice. Comparable results for CoQ10 in people with HD would make it much more likely that creatine, EPA, and minocycline, all of which are reported to help the HD mice, will also be found to help people as well. All of the above are currently in clinical trials or about to start.

Keep your fingers crossed. If this is true, then our researchers and the courageous Phds who volunteered for the CARE-HD study have made history. And we will all have reason to celebrate!

RE: Care HD results?
May 25, 2001 08:42PM
Hi, I too have heard good things of CoQ10, and have some experience with my husband taking it. He started taking it when he was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago, and I do believe I saw an improvement of about a year or more. With him, the effect did not last long on the dose he is taking which is 300mg/day. I don't know what the recommended is either, but I do believe there is a link here somewhere, and our "Celebration" is just around the corner!
Paul
May 31, 2001 10:58AM
Kellie,

Did you mean 35mg a day?

Paul
June 12, 2001 10:05AM
I read on the Earthshare site that the dose was 600 mg a day. Wonder what the side effects are with that much?!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login