Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

where to get tested?

Posted by Valerie 
where to get tested?
March 30, 2001 11:44PM
I have read a great deal about HD and fear the possibility of having HD. I have many MANY symptoms. I would love to get tested to know for sure one way or another. One major problem for me, though. I have no health insurance. If I get tested (I will have to pay 100% of the test) & if I'm positive, I will NEVER get health insurance. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Valerie
RE: where to get tested?
April 02, 2001 06:38AM
Valerie, I understand where you are coming from. I would suggest that you look into insurance before you do anything. Does your family have a history of HD.
MIne does and like you i felt sure that I had it and was exhibiting symptoms.
I was tested and while i carry the gene i won't exhibit in my life time. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't give in too easily, stress can bring on similar symptoms. I don't mean this to sound like it is making light of your situation but having been there and read of other cases i can definitely say it is best to wait for the result. Try not to self diagnose.
In Australia the test is covered by our national health scheme we don't have to pay anything, are you sure this is not the case where you live. Have you discussed this with your doctor? Health insurance is definitely an issue, I'm not really sure what the answer is, except to say that if you have no family history of this disease then you sholdn't have a problem getting it. Goodluck, you've tapped into a great support system at this site.
Lesley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login