Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Most widly used medication for HD?

Posted by Tim 
Tim
Most widly used medication for HD?
March 21, 2001 11:03AM
Hi everyone.
I am a first time visitor to this message board. My name is Tim Matheny. I am a college theatre professor and one of our students has written a wonderful and tragic play about the effects of HD on a southern family and their community. The play has been received extremely well and has been selected to perform at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC and has been invited to an English speaking festival in Europe. Seeing the effects of this play on those who have been personally touched by this disease has prompted me to learn as much as I can about the disease.

I have one question to pose to the group. What are the most widely used medications for HD patients?

PS ? If anyone is near the DC area on April 23 & 24 and would like more information on tickets to our show feel free to e-mail me at timmatheny*at*email.com
Dear Tim,

Thank you for exploring the psychological and emotional aspects that are so obtrusive to pHDs and their families and friends. I am a former teacher but was forced into early retirement three years ago. It is not easy for anyone.

We live about an hour from Washington, DC and would love to see your students perform. Would love to have four tickets. I have a husband and three beautiful daughters, two at risk and one adopted from Korea,

I would think the most widly used medication for HD would be anti depressants. You probably know sueside is high with HD. It the chemicals in the brain are not being produced it results in bizarre behaviors and unstable emotions. Antidepressents help me retain my own mental health as well as help my family cope.

A muscle relaxant my also be taken, usually a very small dose to help a pHD relax and sleep at night.

Hugs,
Ardie
Marsha
RE: Most widly used medication for HD?
March 22, 2001 07:58AM
The SSRIs (Selective Serotonine Re-uptake Inhibitors) have become the most common types of drugs to treat depression, irritability, and inflexibility. Paxil, Luvox, Celexa are examples. Neuroleptic drugs such as Resperidone and Zyprexa are used for psychotic symptoms. There's much less emphasis on treating chorea unless it really bothers the person.

Haldol was once commonly prescribed for people with HD. Now the pharmaceutical guides warn that it is contra-indicated for patients with lesions of the basal ganglia so it wouldn't be a good idea to have the character in the play take this medication.
Your play sounds interesting. I wrote a short novel called Huntington's Child about the effects of HD on a young girl and her brothers as they grow up in the 60s when not much was known about the disease. I think it's a pretty good book, though I haven't tried to send it out. I wish someone would read it besides me, though.
I have HD and take antidepressants. Good luck.
usually anti-depressants. My mother is on Zoloft.

Good luck with your play.
I have a resident in our Nursing Home had HD for 12 years very difficult to nurse been in here 3 years becoming psychotic agressive+++ on zoloft zyprexia haliperidol largactil ducine and now trialing introduction of epilum with the view of reducing largactil. Has two siblings and neices and nephews with it and have told of the drug E.P.A and our resident wants to try it .It is a fatty acid over the counter drug has anyone in America heard of or used this drug.
I have a resident in our Nursing Home had HD for 12 years very difficult to nurse been in here 3 years becoming psychotic agressive+++ on zoloft zyprexia haliperidol largactil ducine and now trialing introduction of epilum with the view of reducing largactil. Has two siblings and neices and nephews with it and have told of the drug E.P.A and our resident wants to try it .It is a fatty acid over the counter drug has anyone in America heard of or used this drug.
Carol

See the link to Jerry's Lighthouse in the links section. He has all the up to date information on EPA and HD. There are several clinical trials that will be starting up this year on HD patients.

As a lay person, it sounds to me like your patient is over medicated!! Read up on Haldol. See the Physician's Guide to the Treatment of HD. It is rarely used with HD patients any more except in a few instances.

Love
Jean
I am a mother of 2 boys ages 13 and11 who have Juvenile Huntingtons Disease.They are on Lamictal, Valium and Klonipin for seizres and the oldest is on Baclofin for muscel cramps.but their seizures are not under control. Your play sounds very interresting.
My mother takes a combination of two drugs, Prolixin and Tetrabenazine. They are classified as anti-psychotics but the reason she takes them is for the control of tremors. Tetrabenazine was experimental, but I suspect it has been approved, as the cost has tripled in the last two years. I had to play with the dosage for a few months, but once that was settled, the results have been very good. Without the violent tremors it is easier to maintain her weight.
THANK YOU TIM FOR EXPLORING SUCH A DEVESTATING AND HEARTBREAKING DISEASE..ALMOST SO TRAGIC THAT FEW HAVE VENTURED TO TELEVISE OR MUCH LESS PUT IN A PLAY. I'M SO SORRY AS I WAS TOO LATE FOR THE PLAY BECAUSE I HAVE QUITE A BIT OF FAMILY IN MARYLAND. COULD YOU TELL US HOW IT WENT? HOPEFULLY THIS WILL CONTINUE TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD AND LET PEOPLE INTO WHAT WAS ONCE A VERY DARK WORLD BUT IS SOON GAINING LIGHT EVEN AS WE SPEAK... LET THE SUN SHINE IN BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY AND WARM YOUR HEART....GOD BE WITH YOU ALWAYS...SUNSHINE CINDY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login