Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

minocycline

Posted by Melissa 
minocycline
February 19, 2001 08:22AM
I am 28 and just tested positive. I was wanting to know if anyone has been told to start minocycline before the symptoms may start and if it will help prolong this disease or if this is just something that is adviced after the symptoms start. I was hoping we could find something to prolong this disease so any ideas that you have we'll take. Does anyone know if minocycline is something you can take long term? I haven't talked to the doctor yet, but wanted to see what your opinion was first. Thank you. Thank you.

Melissa
Marsha
RE: minocycline
February 25, 2001 06:00PM
Melissa, I am sorry to read of your positive result. I'm glad you are focusing on staying healthy.

The HD mice were given minocycline before becoming symptomatic and it delayed onset of the disease but we don't know if the same results will be obtained for people. I suspect the doctor will tell you to wait for the results of the clinical trials since you are not symptomatic. My husband, who is symptomatic but in the early stages, has decided to wait for those results before asking his doctor about minocycline.

Clinical trials have also started with creatine which also helped the HD mice.

The results of the study with CoQ10 will be out in two months so there's a chance we'll have some good news shortly.

February 26, 2001 03:26PM
Hello Melissa, My Brother has been on Minocyclin for about 5 months now,it hasn't done him any apperant harm but don't know if it has done him any good either,he is 70 and mid Late Stage. Sorry I could not be more help. Ron C.
February 27, 2001 05:18PM
my husband has been on minocycline for quite some time know. i have not noticed any difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login