Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

feeding tube

Posted by Vivian Wadlin 
feeding tube
December 14, 2000 09:49AM
I am going to the hospital this weekend to discuss putting a feeding tube in my cousin. Can anyone guide me or give me any advice. He is 56 and can no longer swallow.
RE: feeding tube
December 14, 2000 10:16AM
Does your cousin want a feeding tube? Did he make a living will saying whether to use measures to prolong his life? My dad had a living will. He didn't want tubes or anything like that. When he could no longer swallow, he passed away two days later. It is hard to know what is right to do, but if your cousin can communicate, maybe you should ask for his opinion.
December 29, 2000 05:26PM
Vivian

I just read your 12/14 post about your cousin having the feeding tube placed that
week. My daughter, Kelly, had a feeding tube for almost 3 years. If you have any
questions I can help you with, please feel free to write me.

One article is [www.lib.uchicago.edu]
another [www.lib.uchicago.edu]

My article has been updated and I can send you a copy if you'd like.

Love
Jean

I sent this to you privately, too, since it's been awhile since you posted.
December 31, 2000 02:38PM
Vivian,

My Dad (76 years old) just had a feeding tube installed as he could no longer swallow properlly. He has had it just under 1 month and seem to be adapting quite well. Other than moderate chorea, he seems to handle things quite well. It is somewhat of an interesting love story. My Mom and Dad have been married for 55 years. My Mom has mid stage Alzheimers and my Dad is the care giver. He is essentially the short term memory for my Mom. They seems to function well together. Anyway I think of got off subject, but my Dad chose the feeding tube so he could continue to care for my Mom. We talked about it (as I am his Health Proxy), and he decided that he still had some life left and if he could live alittle longer to take care of my Mom it was worth it.

Best of luck
Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login