Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Can someone Help understand Broda Chairs and HD

Posted by dcb 
Re: Can someone Help understand Broda Chairs and HD
February 12, 2015 08:26AM
I am a former Broda Sales rep for the Pacific Northwest as well as a purchaser of a Broda Chair for my Mother who was experiencing daily falls, severe skin integrity issues, chorea, agitation, and eventual confinement to a bed (which worsened all of the issues mentioned). My Mom did not have HD, but her physical symptoms were similar. We purchased a Broda 785 for my Mom - at the advice of the facility OT. At the time of purchase, the 785 was the correct chair, but within a short amount of time (about 2 months) my mom's health and outlook improved to the point that she could have used a Broda Pedal Chair or Pedal Rocker. Both of these chairs are mobility chairs and allow the end user to foot propel (pedal) about the facility. Both are comfortable to sit in for extended periods of time.

The most important word to use when describing a Broda is comfort. In addition to the desire to get up and walk around, another aspect of falls is the discomfort from sitting for an extended period of time which prompts a person to fidget in their chair (or wheelchair), slump, slide, scooch forward (which can cause sheering), and etc. Anyone who has been on a cross country road trip can attest to the discomfort of sitting in the same seat for an extended period of time. Spend the day sitting in your loved one's chair - be it a Broda or other chair - to experience their level of comfort. Discomfort may be part of the cause of the falls.

Broda;s website is: www.brodaseating.com

Note: The Broda 785 is the chair that most people envision when talking about Broda. I recommend looking at Broda's website, both for information and images of their product line. Specifically look at the images of the Pedal Chair and Pedal Rocker. Both can be fitted with front mounted hand rims (mag wheels in Broda terminology) which allow the user to easily propel using their hands. The front mounted hand rims allow the chair to turn on a dime and make it very easy for the user to steer around the facility. In addition, by the very nature of the movement, the torso is worked and can be strengthened. The seat to floor height can be adjusted for proper foot propulsion and arm height is also adjustable.

I am located in Washington State, but am happy to help with other questions or concerns. My email is: matsonb64@gmail.com

I hope this helps.

Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login