Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Gene of HD disease in pilot. What to do?

Posted by Igor Balabushkin 
What woul you do if there is gene of Hd dtected in pilot and whos has not got any symptoms of the disease? Can this pilot fly untill symptoms appear? Can we stop he from flying because there is risk of the crash?

This is the case we face here in Russia and have no experience in this kind of situations. Can you please send your comments by e-mail.
Thanking you in advance.

Igor Balabushkin

Dear Igor,

This is my first reply to a post here but my personal experience may help. My father-in-law was a commercial pilot who continued to fly until he had to be stopped following an incident that could have resulted in many fatalities. I did not know him then so cannot say if he was symptomatic at the time of the incident. I suspect, however, that his errors of judgement were an early indication of the onset of HD symptoms.

While I don't feel your pilot should be prevented from flying just because he has the HD gene, I do believe he should be very carefully evaluated for safety to continue flying. It is highly likely that his thinking processes will be impaired at the very early stages of onset of the disease and this needs to be assessed very carefully by someone who understands the disease process in HD.

I feel very strongly that people who have tested positive for the gene should not face discrimination, but I also feel very strongly that the lives of others should not be jeopardised.

I know someone in a management position with a large commercial airline here in England and could ask his advice if you would like me to.

With best wishes,

Sue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login