Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Financial Burdens

Posted by Mike Hanson 
Financial Burdens
October 10, 2000 03:44PM
Hello. I am a freshman who is currently writing a term paper for an Honors Genetics class at Drake University about the ethics of insurance companies using genetic screening information to determine health insurance rates/clientele. HD is one of several examples I am using. I was wondering if anyone knows the average amount of money needed to cope with HD or where I could go to find this information. This would greatly help my arguement that insurance companies should NOT be allowed to discriminate against those predisposed or destined to contract a genetic disease.
RE: Financial Burdens
October 16, 2000 09:01PM
Mike,

My wife is in the early stages. Your question is difficult because HD cases vary so much. I doubt if you will find a set of statistics, but I'll give you some ideas to start. Our medications cost approx. $120 per month (my cost). The insurance company probably pays that much. My wife is in the early stages. You can probably figure a neurologist visit every couple of months (approx. $175 per hour), psychiatrist visit every couple of months (same cost). Nursing home cost at $45-$60,000 per year. Cases typically run from 10-15 years, and my guess 3-5 yrs. in a nursing home.

Right now, the medicaitons are not working too well. My wife has no sick leave or vacation leave left. Her paycheck is probably half its usual amount (say $800 per months vs $1700 usual pay)--lost wages.

Feel free to ask questions.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login