Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Jejunostomy

Posted by Lucy 
Jejunostomy
September 24, 2000 04:52PM
Please, if anyone has any info on this surgery or this type of feeding tube let me know. My husband already has a G tube. His movements are so bad right now that he can't hold anything down and the drs want to put in this other tube. I need info. in order to make a good decision. Thanks for any help that is out there.
Lucy
Steve Ireland
RE: Jejunostomy
September 24, 2000 09:01PM
I'm posting this on behalf of Ron C.
---
Hi Lucy
Apparently there are some problems that are quite common and very
often life threatening with this procedure,this is according to the
information that was published on the net and readily available on a Search
done on "Jejunostomy" using Explorer.I personally have no knowledge or
experience with this.
Ron C.
Marsha
September 25, 2000 06:38AM
Lucy, I don't know anything about this procedure either and I hope someone will respond who has direct experience. A regular net search is certainly likely to turn up problems since that is what people will write about or ask questions about. I looked at one of the articles I found through a search engine and it was quite alarming but then it was also dated 1990 and called for some changes in the procedure.

I think it might be helpful to do a search under "jejunostomy" on Pub Med. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It sounds like there's a variation in methods for this procedure and I think if you look at some of the articles, it will give you an idea of some questions to ask the doctor. On the second page of articles that turn up, Simon and Fink review recent experiences with the procedure. They are at Emory University School of Medicine.

I didn't turn up any articles dealing with jejunostomy for Huntington's Disease patients through the Pub Med search engine.

I think I would ask your husband's doctors about their experiences with this procedure for HD patients and if they haven't used it before, ask them if they would be willing to consult by phone with Emory since there is an HDSA Center for Excellence there. It was mentioned at the last convention that the doctors at the these Centers are very receptive to telephone calls from other doctors asking for information to help HD patients.

I hope that you can get the information you need to make a good decision that you are comfortable with soon. I'll be thinking about you and your husband.

(p.s. if you use Pub Med to look up Huntington's Disease articles, the search term has changed to Huntington Disease).

Karen K
September 25, 2000 08:45AM
Stools will get more runny because feedings are going in lower in the bowel
tract so less absorption of fluid will occur before it's evacuated. But
there must be a medical reason for it?-- such as stomach not tolerating the
feedings, more comfort, etc. Ask. Good luck. kk
October 09, 2000 12:25PM
skip surgery get to the point
Sue
November 06, 2000 10:38PM
My mother has a jejunal feeding tube placed 10/13/00. Have you had problems with it stopping up? Tonight is the 3rd time it's happened and this time we're unable to get it to open. Help! it's so frustrating!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login