Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

constant urge for B.M.

Posted by Donna M. Marro 
constant urge for B.M.
September 09, 2000 03:40PM
Hi All,

I am new to this site, but not to H.D. I have 3 sisters who are in nursing homes with it
One sister just enter a home this year, her name is Beverly.By the way they all Live inVT.
Bev has a constant urge to do a bowel movement every 2 minutes or less. She also has hemorids which gets argravated every time she strains to go.
She is also in a wheelchair. Bev works herself upso much, that she sweats alot and one can see the torment she is in!
It goes on around the clock without a reprieve, unless they give her Immdieom which they can only do so often as she then gets dehydrated.

Please if there is anyone out there who has come across this problem and has found some sort of a solution Please contact me right away!! My sincere thanks to all who may help my sister with this dreadful urge.

Donna M. Marro
Cristy
RE: constant urge for B.M.
September 10, 2000 02:13PM
Hi Donna,

I don't have personal experience with this problem, but if your sister's situation is psychological in nature then maybe a placebo would work. They could try givng her something harmeless, like a vitamin, and telling her it is immodium or something similar.

It's worth a try.

Cristy
September 10, 2000 04:09PM
Hi Cristy,
WE had'nt thought about the psychological aspect of it, but it is definitely worth a try. Thank you so much for answering my inquery and giving us another way of looking at it.

Sincerely, Donna
Marsha
September 10, 2000 05:48PM
I am wondering if the nursing home might check to see if Bev has a bladder infection. I learned at the HDSA convention that because pain feedback can be impaired with HD, often bladder infections can rage out of control before the patient realizes what is going on. Maybe Bev isn't sure what the problem is and she thinks she has to have a bowel movement.
September 17, 2000 01:55PM
Hi, Donna!

I've been involved in nursing home care of folks with HD for several years now. I'm not a doctor, nurse or social worker, though. But I've worked with lots of families with HD. I'm in Western Massachusetts, a reasonable drive within most of Verment. If you'd like me to talk to your sister's nursing home staff or do an inservice on HD for them I'm sure I can work it into my schedule. We do 'em all over the Northeast. No charge. Just let me know.

Another potential but not likely contributor to the problem iis a change in musclr tone in the bowel. Just a thought. Good luck with your sisters!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login