Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

my sister

Posted by Kathy 
my sister
September 03, 2000 03:49PM
What do families do when an HD patient can no longer care for her children. She can not handle it emotionally.

Where can she go?
RE: my sister
September 04, 2000 04:55PM
Kathy, Boy that is a tough one. Usually when the pHD gets that far along someone in the family can take over raising the children. Grandparents, sisters, brothers, uncles, aunts and maybe even friends. This is not a pretty subject to talk about as the children lose to much.... their parent, home, friends.... Everything that they hold dear is taken away from them. HD is not a nice disease and now you see how it does not discriminate. It takes families and tears them apart in more ways than one.

There is no where that I know of that she can go. What about the childrens Dad? Is he out of the picture? And how old are the children? Where does she live? This will be really hard for that family if no one in the family will help these children out. I have seen what happens when the children are taken away and are not raised with the others. They never see each other and keep the close bond as a family. And turn out to be strangers at the parent funeral. And I say this not to be mean or to say you should do it this way. Just talking as this happened to my husbands brothers and sisters when their Mom was placed in a mental hospital and their Dad was in a bad wreck. This will not be easy and I have no real answer for you but I didn't want your post to go unanswered.

I hope you can find the answers you are looking for. It will be hard on your sister,
as well as the children. I just wish I had a better answer for you. God's speed for you and your family.

Susie
RE: my sister
September 04, 2000 07:56PM
Thank you for responding. The girls are 11 and 6. Their dad has a hard time keeping a job. He lives with my sister sometimes and his sister the rest of the time. You gave me a lot of things to think about. Thank you!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login