Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Care giver

Posted by vtgirl 
Care giver
July 05, 2018 03:10PM
It has been a long while since i have been on here but need the support now more than ever. My mother has Hungtingtons disease and my step father has been caring for her for the last few years as the disease has progressed. Back in Februrary my step dad passed away and i have not become her care giver. She is actually still living by herself which I never thought would happen but she is one strong lady. I have her on a list for assisted living as she does have a hard time getting around and I really want her around other people. My heart hurts for her that she lives alone and does not have a lot of contact. I try to see her 2 or 3 times a week but i want her to have contact with people every day and be more social. She loves to be social and there are a few things in her apartment that she does attend but not enough but as I said I do have her on a list for assisted living. I am kind of rambling but i guess my biggest issue as of today is that i could use some advice on is how awful I am at trying to be her caregiver. I love her with all my heart but have never been much of a care taker and have zero patience with her. I don’t want to hurt her feelings and sometimes i feel like, well I know that i treat her like a little kid. She is my mother and I will always respect her and don’t want to treat her like this. I know sometimes she sees it and apologizes for being in the way. Any suggestions from others out there going through the same thing is greatly appreciated.
eve
Re: Care giver
July 15, 2018 03:54PM
I hope someone can help with answers for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login