Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

For Caregivers

Posted by pal 
pal
For Caregivers
November 18, 2015 06:34AM
Hello,
I am a caregiver , my husband has HD he presented over 10 years ago and now approaching 4 years of no job and on disability . I know all cases have differences , my husband has a Physic Degree and very smart , he handles most thinsg very well but of course this disease angers him. For several years he is and has tried to find something wrong with me , says I am the one that needs help and while I am aging and like everyone have problems I maintain daily. Here is the question are there any caregivers for this disease where they have this happen to them as well. He also has Bipolar and his mom had all kinds of wild behavior and his dad had the gene.
I am just starting a support group we have always lived in places where there were none.

I know when he gets angry he says you take the pill or you need help, just need to know if other experience this and how you handle. I am sure he does not want to be alone in this , is this normal behavior for HD ? BTW it has got worse as the disease progresses.
Thanks
JFB
Re: For Caregivers
November 18, 2015 08:42AM
while this is an excellent site, there is an Yahoo Group just for HD Caregivers. the email exchanges there can get very explicit in the challanges and issues faced as the group members are restricted and exchanges private (not internet searchable). To join, you must submit a profile for concideration and it could take a couple days for acceptance

[groups.yahoo.com]

as for your question, YES. I have experance very similiar from my Wife. the most severe episodes were several years ago and thus my recoliction is now muddy due to ever changing challanges. I recall during that period where every thing was my fault (and I was trying to kill her along with every other person). I don't know if the phase abruptly change on its own OR the results of finally (after years of trying) getting the right combination of drugs needed to balance out her brain chemeistry.
November 18, 2015 12:58PM
so sorry for what you are going thru as I am also a caregiver to my husband. In the beginning he was out of control!!!! Everything was my fault and he accused me of everything imaginable. a lot of which is too horrible to mention.
but like JFB said, I guess he finally must have gotten the right drug combination because he is no longer that way. Thank the Good Lord above.
I posted a lot about it in the first year of my post on here called "my story" if you get time, you might could read some of it. I'm sure you can relate to a lot of it.
I hope things get better for you.

JFB, I am also gonna look into that yahoo group. I need all the help and support I can get.

LIz
pal
November 19, 2015 02:36PM
great info thank you and sometimes you just get beat down and need to know you are not alone again thanks
pal
November 19, 2015 02:37PM
Thank you very much , please all our journeys it is not easy for either side
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login