Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Mom passed away...sad smiley

Posted by dgennaro1433 
Mom passed away...sad smiley
April 05, 2014 09:20AM
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a long time... But I just wanted to vent!

My mom was diagnosed in 2009 and recently lost her fight with Huntingtons and while I am sad that she is no longer here on earth with me, I am relieved that her suffering is done. No more medications with unwanted side effects. No more living life in a body that has let her down and didn't allow her to do the things she loved to do. No more angry outbursts.

She ended up succumbing to a bowel obstruction/strangulated bowel that the doctors were hesitant to operate on because of her repetitive movements. Being a nurse, I was confused at first because this was something that could be FIXED! But the family made the choice to bring her home on hospice and let her go... Because she has suffered enough.

Anyway, I miss her so much my heart hurts. The only thing that eases my pain is knowing she is in heaven dancing with my daddy. I know I will see her again... It's the in between that's the scarey part. Life without her just doesn't seem right.

The sad part is that her brother is also suffering from Huntingtons and is about 2 years behind her in age. It was hard for him to watch her this week as she passed away... He saw his future and it scared him.

Thanks for listening to me... I have been reading your posts over the years since my mothers diagnosis and have learned a lot! I even learned about new meds that her neurologist didn't even know about (xenazine)... A drug that did wonders for her repetitive movements! Anyway, thank you for all of the support... It has helped to know that I wasn't alone in this struggle as her daughter and caregiver.

Diana
VRE
Re: Mom passed away...sad smiley
April 05, 2014 10:43AM
So sorry to hear that you lost your precious mother a while ago to this most unfair disease. I too understand your confusion over what really eventually took her, but agree with the decision not to operate when it would most likely only prolong her suffering until Huntington's eventually finished it's destruction. I am thankful you learned much from this site, as have I. I am on the front end of this dreadful journey with my husband and I have not only learned a vast amount of knowledge, I have received so much more. I have also gotten the opportunity to pray for those who are enduring the same struggles that I will most likely become a reality at some point in our process.
God Bless you at this time of grief.

Vicky
April 05, 2014 12:15PM
Sorry for your loss. Our thoughts & prayers go out to you and your family.

Laura & Pete
April 05, 2014 03:57PM
I have never met you or your mother ,but your post of her passing sadened me .
Sad when this disease makes death such a welcome relief.
Best wishes for you and your family hugs.
April 10, 2014 12:47PM
So very sorry that your mom passed away. I know she is up in heaven dancing with your daddy just like you said.

Carla
April 11, 2014 08:07AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I will be thinking of you and your family. No matter what the cause it's hard to lose a loved one.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login