Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Quick question

Posted by Chicago_t 
Quick question
November 16, 2013 06:00PM
Does anyone familiar with HD know if nasal problems are a symptom. I.e. Snoring,heavy breathing etc. just wanted to know if anyone else experienced these problems. Thanks.
Re: Quick question
November 17, 2013 07:24AM
Not that I know of.
November 17, 2013 08:31AM
Thanks,just wondering because I know swallowing could be an issue and was just wondering because the nose and throat are connected.
November 18, 2013 06:30AM
How about sniffiling and throat clearing,forgot to add those.
November 18, 2013 01:03PM
yes throat clearing, sniffing, grunts, moans can accompany HD.

side note(Complex Central Sleep Apnea is a brain thing,) not sure it is related to Huntingtons-or same part of the brain...
November 18, 2013 01:20PM
Thanks for your reply,Vicky.
November 18, 2013 05:08PM
Just for what it's worth. I have severe sleep apnea, even with a cpap. Upon a ten year follow up test it was discovered that my oxygen levels were poor. Now I sleep with a bit of oxygen fed to my cpap. Doc says it is Apnea as the cause and not lungs.

Mike
November 18, 2013 05:44PM
Thanks for your reply Mikee
November 20, 2013 11:18AM
Yes, sniffling, snorting, throat clearing, change in voice etc are all early symptoms. My son had them, the doc called them tics. He has moved onand does not do that anymore, so they do eventually stop. One thing odd, he can no longer blow his nose. He cannot make the nose blowing but he can sniff. The brain has so many unanswered questions, such a complex organ.

Carla
November 20, 2013 03:34PM
I have problems most nigts with coughing fits that I never had before. Not sure it's HD related or sleep apnea. Have not been tested for the sleep apnea yet. Between my leg movments and my coughing fits getting a good nights sleep is sometimes a real challenge.
November 20, 2013 05:40PM
Thank you Marky and Carla for your reply.
November 20, 2013 07:12PM
During my test, they reported nearly 300 leg movements in 6 hours. I don't know if it is HD but it's funny that was one of the first things the Neurologist ask my wife if she had noticed.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login