Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Looking for a way to help people with HD?

Posted by hvoigt 
Looking for a way to help people with HD?
November 14, 2013 04:49PM
My name is Heather Voigt and I am a genetic counseling student at the University of Irvine, California. I am doing my thesis project on Huntington Disease and if you have been tested, you can help me AND those with HD by taking my brief survey! Two lucky participants will win a Kindle Fire- HD!!!

Here is some more information: [www.surveymonkey.com]

Brief Description: Our goal is to determine what impact the psychological effects of presymptomatic predictive testing in HD have on romantic and familial relationships. Ultimately, in the future we want to be able to predict how to best help people who decide to undergo any type of predictive testing preserve and maintain their familial and romantic relationships.

Criteria for Eligibility: Anybody who speaks English and has had presymptomatic predictive testing for the Huntington Disease expansion allele regardless of their result. We don't have any other demographic criteria; anybody over 18 and all ethnicity's are welcome.

The Link to my Survey:

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Contact Info:
Heather Voigt
hvoigt@uci.edu
714-456-5837

My project has been approved by UCI's IRB and they have given me permission to post info about my study on various HD websites, blogs, chat rooms, and support sites. Pease contact me if you have any questions.
Re: Looking for a way to help people with HD?
November 15, 2013 03:43PM
I did this survey when Heather first posted. It's a worthwhile request, unlike some we've seen on the forum. It's well designed and easy to do. I would recommend it to anyone.

Will
November 16, 2013 09:17AM
Thanks Will !! When I first saw her post, I thought "Not another one!!", but due to your recommendation, I will give it a try.
November 18, 2013 01:38PM
Will,

Thank you SO much for helping me (and people all around the world who are struggling to decide whether they want to be tested or not)! It's so important for us to be able to predict how having a test done like this might affect people's relationships.... and the topic has hardly been studied.

If you know of anyone else who qualifies to take the survey, please feel free to help me by sharing the link with them.

Again, thank you so much for your help and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,
Heather
November 18, 2013 01:42PM
Greeneyes,

Thank very much for deciding to go ahead and give my survey a try!

I am really sorry to hear that there have been requests that seem unreasonable or are "spamish", and I'm very sorry you initially though my request fell under that category. I'd be interested to hear more about what you mean, as I am new to the HD blogging world and want to be sure I don't bother people with my request. Do you have any advice on how I can improve? Please let me know and again, thank you so much!

Best,
Heather
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login