Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Not Sure!!!

Posted by Paula Chalker 
Not Sure!!!
August 19, 2000 10:31AM
Hello,
My husband is 39 yrs. and shows manifestations of Hd. His father and his fathers four brothers died from it. His cousin died last yr at 43 yrs. My husband it the youngest in his family and the first one with signs? He goes for his MRI this monday and with no insurance life is rough. His mother says he shouldn't work and to get SSI but this info along is killing him. Is it wrong for him to try to work at something,I mean anything. The dementa is starting.But I don't think someone should give up until they have to.Also I've tried to find chat rms with no success,I guess because we have a web not a computor. Is there any chat rm out there that we can connect to?
Thank You
Paula
Marsha
RE: Not Sure!!!
August 19, 2000 10:42AM
Paula, welcome to HDAC. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's symptoms. I hope that he will be able to work with his doctors to find the right medications to help with the dementia and other symptoms. I agree with you that no one should give up being productive until they have to but going on disability doesn't mean giving up. My husband is on disability but is busy with the house and yard, helping me with my work, and community work.

The MGH HD chatroom (see our chat rooms and club page) is one that can be used with any internet browser. It is very simple (and cranky) and you have to keep clicking on 'check new messages' because they don't automatically appear as in most chat rooms. Keep trying and if you don't find someone in there, post a time when you will be back.
August 20, 2000 09:52AM
Hi. Just wanted to mention that Social Security Disability will allow a person to work, though not for more than 500. a month (that amount might have gone up or down since I found this out). There are details to this program that you could find out about. I've found SSD is quite understanding about HD if tests prove you have it. Also I would suggest that your husband find help at a Mental Health clinic. The one here even has part-time jobs for patients while helping with depression or other problems.
August 25, 2000 10:59AM
I haven't had any luck finding the club page and as of the chat rm no luck either. I have a web tv which limits me because I'm not on a comutor. Does anyone have any other ideas about other chat rms in which I could access.
Thank You
Paula
Marsha
August 25, 2000 01:38PM
Paula, click on the link below. It will take you to our HD Clubs, Chat Rooms, and Message Board page. The MGH HD chatroom should work for you. Try that link.

[www.hdac.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login