Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Waiting for Test Results

Posted by family2gather 
Waiting for Test Results
February 10, 2013 09:36AM
I have been here before and read most of your inspiring/heartwrenching stories as we have traveled the path to this point. Thank you. My husband would be considered asymptomatic at this point though the family history is there. The main reason we pursued testing is rather severe symptoms our 14 year old son has had in past year. Ten days now since blood draw. I wonder did we mess up by not following the protocol more closely. My husband could use the counseling, who couldnt? The genetic person gave us the assignment of pretending the diagnosis was positive and playing out our reaction and how our lives would be affected and advised us to read this and another Huntington site. I did this and learned much. My husband did not and I am afraid of his reaction to positive result as he is just 100% sure it will be negative. I realize this is a dealing mechanism and how hard it was for him as a child to watch this disease. Counseling was not really option as just the appointments we did have involved two cross country trips. I wonder should we have pursued some additional insurance and if positive will it affect my husbands job. Is it information that must be shared with employers when there is a high safety conscious environment even if person is asymptomatic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 09:55AM by family2gather.
Re: Waiting for Test Results
February 10, 2013 08:38PM
If you are not sure of your husband's reaction to his results, talk to him. It might be worth it to go through the counseling sessions prior to learning his results. He is the best judge of what information he can handle at this time. You do not mention his age, but unless he is showing symptoms, I would not reveal anything to his employer. If there is a strong safety concern regarding softer cognitive symptoms, perhaps he could develop a close working relationship with a neurologist (who knows HD) or neuropsychologist. They will pick up on the earlier subtle changes which may affect his job performance.

You may feel pressed to reveal his results to identify what is happening with your son, but bear in mind, while a negative result in your husband can rule out JHD, a positive result does not confirm it until your son is also tested. There may be another issue going on. The only way to be sure it is HD is to have your son tested.

I hope your family is able to figure out what is going on and able to make some good plans to deal with it. You have reached out to the right place. There are many helpful and understanding people here.

Patty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login