Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

First appointment in testing process

Posted by melissa1991 
First appointment in testing process
November 02, 2012 08:35AM
I have got my first appointment in the testing process on the 4th December. Quite scared!! :/

Would be great to hear from some other people going through the process smiling smiley
Re: First appointment in testing process
November 02, 2012 10:29AM
I've got my first appointment on Monday for the psych assessment at a genetics clinic. I don't know if blood will be drawn then or if I'll have to wait for another appointment...but I can let you know how it goes.

Try to keep really busy through the next month. I also had a month wait before my appointment, and I've been pretty preoccupied with work so it helped me not think about it much. October went by really fast!

It can be scary, but if you have close family and friends that can make it easier. Knowing there's people who will stick by you no matter what the results are...that really helped me. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 10:34AM by Noni.
November 02, 2012 01:03PM
Good luck with your appointment! I hope you get a negative result.

Im lucky that i have a very supportive family too so they will keep me going smiling smiley and i will try to stay busy!!

What has made you decide to get tested now?
November 02, 2012 04:16PM
Good luck with your testing. It can be negative you know. That's what we'll hope for. I was fortunate when tested as I couldn't get a diagnosis but knew something was terribly wrong. When tested it was like come on, what is Huntington's. So off I went never giving it another thought till the phone rang early one morning. That is why I can't imagine the family history so many here have. Just goes to show ignorance is bliss, for a short time anyway.

Again, good luck, thoughts and prayers with all of you.

Mike
November 02, 2012 05:16PM
Thanks Mike smiling smiley
November 02, 2012 05:20PM
@Melissa - I feel like I need to know because I have my whole life ahead of me. The testing results probably won't affect my career, but it will definitely affect things like getting married and having children someday. I need to know before I can make any sort of commitment like that (and I'm totally ready to get married). smiling smiley
I also feel like I can't talk to my friends about it until I have a result. Like...I don't want them to worry and then have the test come up negative. So that will be a relief, because right now it just kind of feels like I'm hiding something from them.
November 02, 2012 05:30PM
Yeah i feel exactly the same. I have got to the point where i just feel like it will be a relief knowing and then i can plan my future around it.

Luckily i have a very supportive boyfriend and family so i feel like i will be ok...no matter what the result is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login