Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Can anyone provide Hand Writing Tips

Posted by MichelleB 
Can anyone provide Hand Writing Tips
June 13, 2012 08:31AM
I still have my job. I am in the early stages. I work in accounting and do A LOT of hand writing. Can anyone give me any tips that have helped them? Thank You.
Re: Can anyone provide Hand Writing Tips
June 13, 2012 09:52AM
My handwriting was was the first to go in 1996. I was at a signing session for my book at a conference autographing, and felt so bad at what a mess I made in nice clean book. My son waas born with dysgraphia from a prenatal car accident, and I had every single handwritiing aid for him, from Dr. Pencil thick,pens and someone from the Delta associaion made him a thing
which flashed al light when he gripped too tightly which caused pain.My son was always able to write beatifully with a number 8 water colour brush. We got him and me IBMS early oral program which worked with distinct speech and really only worked for ross who was used to dictatiing t o a secretary. My own files had probelms with dead and deaf.He was the first deaf child to use an oral computer.We also used a tape deck for homework.

I have adapted to a modified computer which is supplied to me through adative technology from a hospital clinic. You should go to a speech pathologist to get in for writing testing. When you fail the ttests t hey will send you to the same type of clinic.
My son as a child had an occupational therpst for wrting from public health.

do yu really have to write, because this is a good time to learn to rely on computers when you are younger and in learning mode. One of my friends with HD got her computer from the same clinic much too late and she was never able to use it., she had $10,000 touch screen which her hubbie paid for. I also use e cards rather thaan writing notes so can type blue mountiatin..

good luck. My writing was 4 wds a min and i type at 10. good luck
dusty
June 13, 2012 12:32PM
I don't have HD, have always had poor handwriting and I find printing more efficient and legible than script.
eve
June 13, 2012 04:43PM
I agree with Paula that printing may be easier for many to read. Dusty has some good suggestions such as trying different thickness of pencils/pens. They also sell various different grips. Maybe a consultation with an occupational therapist would help. Call first to see if they feel they could potentially give you real working tips or any adaptive type devices. Sorry I can't offer anything specific.
June 18, 2012 01:28PM
I have to use the computer too but even that is becoming harder. Thank You for your suggestions. If you think of anything else, let me know.
July 06, 2012 08:10AM
I got some gel grips for the pens. It helps with the pen slipping around my fingers. Still have a problem with my hands moving while writing, but the gel cushions help some.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login