Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

IVF with PGD

IVF with PGD
June 10, 2012 12:01PM
I would like to know from anyone who did IVF with PGD....how many embryos did you have when you did PGD?
I am hearing from my IVF place that some people do more than one cycle so they have more to test at the time of PGD since it is expensive.

Has anyone done more than one cycle so the amount of embryos was a greater amount?

Thanks for your responses!!
Re: IVF with PGD
June 11, 2012 05:10PM
We tested 9 (all from a single cycle). 5 were gene-positive, 1 was inconclusive, and 3 were healthy. Transferring 3 resulted in twins. smiling smiley

I can't imagine how they'd do 2 cycles at once.. I suppose they'd have to freeze the whole first batch and then thaw them during the second cycle to test? But freezing can cause some to become unusable. And you probably wouldn't be able to refreeze them if you ended up with too many to transfer (?)

I don't see a real benefit vs. risk in this, unless there's an issue like advanced maternal age causing too few eggs?

Do you know the specifics of how they do it?
Re: IVF with PGD
June 12, 2012 05:28AM
They would freeze from the first cycle on day 3 and add to the next cycle.
I am being told that some people who do PGD actually go through 3 cycles so they have a lot of embryos to test.

I do agree that the unfreezing process is another complexity and could lower the number from the original pre-freeze count.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login