Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD Parity Act 2011

Posted by bluedaisy 
HD Parity Act 2011
May 05, 2012 01:41PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but we really need to urge our senators to co-sponsor this bill.

Passing this bill will mean that the criteria will change for HD and recieving disability. Right now disability is based on physical and doesn't account for the cognitive and behavioral effects of HD.

Second, it would waive the 2yr waiting period for medicare after recieving benefits!!! This means HD individuals that don't have any health coverage would have some and be able to recieve some care!

Click on either link to write a letter to your senator: ask them to cosponsor this bill (it's super easy!)

OpenCongress

HDSA Parity Action

Have a good one!Tipping my hat to you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 01:48PM by bluedaisy.
Re: HD Parity Act 2011
May 23, 2012 12:13PM
Do you know who has already signed?
May 23, 2012 08:03PM
I know a couple in MI and some in other states have. If you click on the opencongress link above it will take you to page and as soon as you enter your zipcode it will generate a list of your local senators and say whether they have voted for, voted against, or haven't voted yet.

You don't have to fill out the entire form to see your senators. If you choose to send a letter; fill out the form and it gives you template for your letter and sends it over the internet. If you have time I'm certain a snail mail letter may be more effective....
May 23, 2012 09:24PM
not one of three of my TN senators has voted yet. I have sent them all a letter.
May 24, 2012 04:00PM
Awesome!
May 31, 2012 10:39PM
To follow the progress on these bills, HR718 and S648 go to Thomas.loc.gov. All the info about the status of both bills is there.
Currently there are 128 cosponsors in the House and 11 cosponsors in the Senate.
Way to go Salamandah...you can also send email to your Representatives from the HDSA website, super easy!

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login