Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

unexpected loss this week

Posted by KarenLea 
unexpected loss this week
April 30, 2012 10:29PM
I lost a good friend on Friday in a tragic car accident. My BF with HD and I were on a bowling team with her in the mid 90's and had some great times. My BF has been pretty much at the family's side since the accident and talks about how much they are like family to her and how they were all so close. All this is true, the family is close to my BF. I know this isn't the time to confront her, but I want to just say to her if these people are so much like family than why aren't you opening up to them about your diagnosis? Why are you leaving me carrying the bag on my own? Am I selfish? I don't want to be the only one bearing this burden of seeing her through this. She does have extended family and friends but I am the only one she has told and at this point outside her immediate family. After spending the entire weekend at work I just wanted to get laundry done today and make a nice dinner for my family before heading off to the visitation. She called me about 10 minutes after I was out of the viewing and was crying about missing talking to me. I can't explain it but I was mad. I am sad for the loss of my friend and just needed time to myself and I couldn't even have that. I can't have a bad day anymore, I can't get depressed, I can't be with my other friends or with my husband without her tracking me down. I just need some space!! Done. Thank you for allowing the verbal vomit.
Re: unexpected loss this week
May 01, 2012 08:09PM
I get it. Painful for both of you. She probably just needs sometime to accept the diagnosis??? When everyone knows, it becomes more real. Worrying about being labeled, treated differently, cut off, etc.... That being said, it can't become only your responsibility. Maybe start suggesting some support groups; getting involved in the hd community sorta empowered by dad to "own" his condition and make peace with it.

I know this doesn't really help. I ub=nderstand some of what you are saying. I felt that way too. My life/issues weren't really issues because my sis was having real HD issues. Then I realized life still goes on and it is okay for me to have a bad day too; even without HD.

Thinking of you and praying for some comfort for yousmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login