Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

constipation ploblem

Posted by Gene_W 
constipation ploblem
November 23, 2011 09:27PM
My wife has HD, we have been fighting this since 1998. About 5 weeks ago she started to have constipation problems. I was wondering if any one has had this problem where it was caused by hd verses a possible colon problem. She still eats very well and I have not changed her diet that much.
Re: constipation ploblem
November 24, 2011 12:25AM
Hi Gene. Yes, and i know how horrible that can get. I'm in the early stages of hd, i dont have constipation problems now, but when i first got hd it was very severe. There had been no change in my diet to bring this on, and it would come and go in bouts, several weeks at a time, then gone, then back again. The only thing we could attribute it to was hd, either my brain forgetting how to tell my stomache how to work, or weak muscles from hd. When i went on a mood stabilizer, seroquel, by coincidence, i never had the constipation problems again, ever. So my doc says seroquel also improves muscle function in hd, and i guess that's what happened. And several people here on the forum told me this is common in hd.
November 24, 2011 12:26AM
ooops i double posted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 12:27AM by Barb.
November 24, 2011 07:12AM
Hi Gene, My husband was simular to Barb and his psychotropic med changes seem to do the trick. My daughter on the other hand, had the issue for many many years both on her reuglar diet and later when diet changed. (just fyi, when diet changed to more liquids it actually got worse). When it became an ongoing problem daily mirilax helped, but what I need to add--- we used a 1/2 dose than what was recommended because lack of a better way to phrase it, the recommended dose made her "explode" and took away any control she had.
November 24, 2011 08:18AM
I am pretty sure that this is a muscle problem caused by HD. It can also result in bowel movements being very wide to the point where it's difficult to flush them.
eve
November 24, 2011 06:22PM
Maybe Miralax could help?
November 25, 2011 11:40AM
I thank everyone for the help. I have been very worried about this and Mary is not very comfortable. I will talk to her Doctor about seroquel and the Miralax next week when we go to see him. She also has had the very wide problem for several months. My stress level just dropped a few points. Thanks Again
November 26, 2011 04:21AM
I have had this problem over the years way before I knew I had HD.

Recently I have controlled it by my creatine intake (which seems to act as a laxative for most people)

So kill 2 birds with one stone.... I time my ingestion of the creatine to regulate my bowel movements...

Yuk what a subject and I haven't even had my breakfast yet!

I also seem to recall reading recently that there are neurons in the stomach to control the complexities of food absorbtion and that it may be this
mechanism no longer functioning correctly (due to the neurons being hardest hit by the mutant HT).... as well as spasms etc??
November 26, 2011 12:52PM
Definitely an issue with HD . . . Raymond had extreme constipation, he took Miralax and we'd have to give him enemas, because it was so bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login