Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

help with funeral expenses

Posted by bambi1980 
help with funeral expenses
September 19, 2011 05:51PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Bambi. I have a very close friend of mine named Mandy who is living with a very bad case of Huningtons disease. The doctors say she doesnt have much longer to live. Her only wish is to be buried next to her mom who died 9 years ago from the same illness. Mandy is only 31 years old. Does anyone know of a foundation or some organization that could help her out. Im trying all options right now. We have been doing small fundraisers for her but we have only earned $600.00. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thank you so much.
Re: help with funeral expenses
September 19, 2011 06:28PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. The best place for you to go to get information and resources and support with this, would be the HDSA, which is the actual fundraising organization for huntington's disease, in the US. They have social workers that provide patient and family services,and they would have information and resources, and they would be your better resource when it comes to funds and services.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 06:33PM by Barb.
September 19, 2011 06:50PM
Is your friend under the care of Hospice? I would think they might be able to connect you to some help. Also check with a local funeral home, they may be able to help.

Carla
September 19, 2011 07:04PM
here in NY the department of social serviceswill cover the cost of cremation. Check with your local dept
September 26, 2011 05:00PM
I checked with a funeral director friend of mine in this area. This is his response:

My advice is Catholic Charities of the Diocese where that person lives, also the St Vincent de Paul Society. They have helped families in the past. I have some local contacts for direct help. It also depends on what the family wants to do. Burial or cremation, public or private, viewing or no viewing. So many variables. Hope it helps.
lsh
September 27, 2011 01:53PM
I had learned upon burying a relative that you can put the cremated remains of a family member into an existing plot for a grave opening fee approximately $500. Something to consider.
September 27, 2011 04:26PM
Some medicaid programs in certain states will cover a modest burial expense. Check with Medicaid or medicare.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login