Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Marathon number 9

Posted by just1moreperson 
Marathon number 9
September 04, 2011 03:44PM
Well... I did the hardest marathon of my life today, that really hurt! Didn't feel right from the start, then I injured my achilles at mile 5 and from there on out it was slow and painful. Huge urges to quit as I was getting mentally "beaten up" like never before out there. Stopped at half way to get some treatment on my achilles, spent 15 mins with the medics fixing me up ahead of my 2nd lap (2nd 13 mile lap). Not that they could do much, just an ice pack sad smiley 2nd lap was better, my mentality was more positive and I managed to limp to the finish in 5 hours 35 min.

Thrilled I finished to be honest, that was the biggest test yet. Next marathon is in Sydney in 2 weeks time!

Take care,
Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
Re: Marathon number 9
September 04, 2011 04:23PM
Matty,

You might appreciate some old writing by the running author George Sheehan,

At mile 17, I began to witness the marvelous power of the human will. I had yet to pass a tiring runner. I was, however, slowing down. I had lost the lift in my legs. My stride had shortened. I had become conscious of my calves, my thighs, my arms. Soon the consciousness would turn into outright pain.

Runners were now taking longer at the water stations and were slower to start up again. But startup again they did, and they continued to crank out the miles. Mass competence had become mass determination.

An hour of this ordeal and mass determination became mass courage. Every runner was having the same experience: The body had forgotten how. The mind could not remember why. The driving force was the heroic passion that we had almost unknowingly brought with us to this struggle. This race had become a commitment beyond pain or exhaustion or any argument the body or mind could bring to bear.

Good job!!

Will
September 04, 2011 04:33PM
The human spirit in a marathon situation is truly amazing. Thoughts of quitting changed to determination to finish and to keep on running when possible. Because of the length of time I spent getting treatment at halfway, I came out for the 2nd lap in last place. The first person I caught up with was a young woman (younger than me) with a bandage on both knees, hobbling along. She wished me good luck and I told her to keep on going. Amazing courage, and you always see people walking along, determined to finish. It's probably why I like doing marathons, the challenge is there for all. Whether you're trying for under 3 hours or simply to finish before nightfall smiling smiley

Thanks Will!

[www.hdyo.org]
September 04, 2011 04:38PM
Awesome smiling smiley How many more marathons to go?
September 04, 2011 05:15PM
Six marathons to go now, with 5 of them coming on consecutive weekends starting with Sydney on the 18th. I figured out (with time difference taken into account) that I'll be starting the Sydney marathon a couple of hours after the 2 year anniversary of my dad's passing. Will be an emotional marathon for sure, hopefully it goes well. Then the week after I run back in England in the area my dad grew up as a kid, which again will be emotional. Looking forward to them though smiling smiley

Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
September 04, 2011 05:28PM
I remember Matt, you got to come to the world congress here in vancouver, and your dad waited til you got home to pass away...oh god, i wish i was going to the world congress in australia, that will be awesome, and you will have a good time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2011 05:30PM by Barb.
September 04, 2011 06:07PM
Congratulations!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login