Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Is Creatine Making Anyone Else Twitchy?

Posted by Avenir 
Is Creatine Making Anyone Else Twitchy?
June 21, 2011 05:50PM
Hi All,

I've been taking 5 grams of Med-Rx Creatine since I tested positive for HD six months ago. Since that time, I've been experiencing some slight twitching. I think it must be the Creatine because it started exactly six months ago and tends to stop a few days after I don't take the supplement. Sometimes it's just these tiny little twitches around my eyes and mouth. One time, though, I could see this big muscle twitching right above my knee. I read on a body-building website that some of the weightlifters have experienced similar symptoms (mostly the eye twitches), and it suggested taking potassium and magnesium to offset the lactic acid Creatine builds up in your muscles. I also wonder if I'm not hydrating enough since the powder seems to really work a number on my kidneys (lots of darkly-colored urine). Anyway, I was hoping to work myself up to a larger dose over time but am concerned about these side effects. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 05:54PM by Avenir.
Re: Is Creatine Making Anyone Else Twitchy?
June 22, 2011 08:53AM
Avenir,

Creatine has a long record of few side effects, but some people do get them. Some folks adjust to it and they disappear. However, the dark urine would concern me. I'd have your doctor check that out to make sure there isn't anything going on with your kidney function. I take 20 grams a day split in two doses, but my system is used to high dosage. I don't drink much more than my normal thirst now, but I did when I first stared taking it. I don't think you need to superhydrate - that can be dangeous too by messing up your electrolyte balance.

Will
July 12, 2011 10:33PM
Hi Will,

Thanks for your response. I can get my urine to be clear, but it requires me to drink a lot of water, which makes me think that if I double my dose I might just float away...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 10:50PM by Avenir.
July 13, 2011 09:03AM
silly question...

are you also taking a multivit? These can discolor the urine, though usually more on the order of bright amber.

My husband has been on creatine for about 2 months. He does feel it gives him some extra energy. He already had a lot of facial grimacing before, so it is hard to tell if any increase is related to creatine use.

Patty
August 02, 2011 08:16PM
my partner is involved in a creatin study through Auckland hospita nzl its a 3 year trail, he is monitored very closley bloods blood pressure things like that on a regular basis. I know it can deydrate you so drinking lots of water does help, the urine smells stronger than normal when using creatine. He has nearly been on the trail for a year now he says he is clear headed but it has at this point not stopped the progress that i can see, another 2 years to go.... on it so we will see
kellie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login