Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HR678 - 31 Co-Sponsors

Posted by Patricia 
HR678 - 31 Co-Sponsors
September 18, 2009 08:19AM
Thomas Latham [R-IA4] is the newest addition. Thanks to the Iowans who pursued this!

Patty
Re: HR678 - 31 Co-Sponsors
September 18, 2009 05:07PM
That's great news Patty! smiling smiley
September 18, 2009 05:33PM
I am still not seeing my guy listed.. not that I checked today. I wonder if there is a point I start bugging his office to get the paperwork done?
September 22, 2009 08:59AM
Hey Eric, I'd go ahead and call or email their office. It's been at least a couple of weeks since you met with them. I know there was at least one... the MI Rep... that agreed to co-sponsor after your meeting and has already shown up on the list.

BTW, we have a new addition so we're at 32. The new co-sponsor is Ted Poe [R-TX2].

Here's the link if you want to take a look.

[www.govtrack.us]

Patty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2009 09:00AM by Patricia.
September 22, 2009 10:29AM
I went ahead and wrote acting dumb about the process... and saying that we had dated material to report our good experience and wanted to make sure we could go ahead and report it ahead of his name appearing on the co-sponsor list. Then I told them of the personal experience my son had with the congressman, and how right after the meeting the president was addressing the joint branches on tv. I pointed out Mr.Ellsworth was there and that Jake realized then that he was one step away from speaking to the president.
September 23, 2009 02:23PM
Sounds like a good tactic. Hope you hear something soon. I do think this process is very eductional for children. Heck, even I found it educational and it made me realize that regular people CAN make a difference!

Patty
September 23, 2009 09:56PM
Hi!

I sent the email a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back as of yet, I guess I should give them at least a week...I'll keep you updated.

Deborah
September 24, 2009 05:59AM
I knew Latham would do it! ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 06:02AM by Zach.
September 24, 2009 09:05AM
Hey Zach, did you help persuade Latham? If so, many, many, many thanks! grinning smiley

Keep bugging them Deborah, I found that works well! grinning smiley grinning smiley

Patty
September 24, 2009 10:21AM
Patricia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Zach, did you help persuade Latham? If so,
> many, many, many thanks! grinning smiley

No thanks needed. I honestly didn't do much at all. I've emailed Bruce Braley also and waiting to hear back.
On a side note: I realized that I never linked the bill like I said I was going to, however I called it the "Huntington's Disease Parity Act of 2008" hopefully it all works out.
I wonder if the University of Iowa had anything to do with Latham, they have such a great team down there and they're very dedicated to helping with HD.?.?.
October 06, 2009 07:33PM
Well, I finally got a response on the co-sponsorship... looks like it did get lost in shuffle but is being taken care of.
October 06, 2009 08:39PM
Good deal!!! smiling smiley
October 07, 2009 07:57AM
Well, I received the form letter response from House Rep. Lummis. I am going to send more emails to her and others. I am also going to see about setting up a face to face appointment. I'll keep bugging them until someone listens.

Deborah
October 07, 2009 08:33AM
I just got off the phone with the legislative aide for (NJ) Rodney Frelinghysen....I've been working on them for about a month now. SHe said she would have an answer for me this week.

Denise
October 07, 2009 09:49AM
Ok, I just sent another round of emails. I will wait about a week and then start making phone calls. I even sent one to Senator John Barrasso who is also an orthopedic surgeon. I think since he has a medical background, maybe he will take a personal interest in our issue. ??

Deborah
October 07, 2009 10:38AM
Way to be persistent everybody! I really think that is the key. Good luck and keep at 'em! smiling smiley

Patty
TEO
October 07, 2009 10:40AM
Hi,

Good Idea trying to get Sen. John Barrasso involved. We will need a Republican cosponsor I believe in the Senate. We will let you know how our meeting with Jim Webb (D-VA) goes tomorrow. We have most of our original group from March meeting with Webb's office and hopefully him tomorrow on Capitol Hill. If we can't get Webb, we can start to work on Birch Bayh's boy.

Today on Thomas list, we have one cosponsor (Filner) and 37 cosponsors. Ellsworth is not on list yet, so we have a total of 39 congressmen sponsoring the bill. It is Filner's office's responsibility to list the cosponsors once they hear from cosponsoring congressman's office. So things can take awhile and sometimes require follow up. Glenn Nye (D-VA-02) agreed to cosponsor on July 31. He was listed on Thomas list yesterday after some follow up.

Keep working,

Tim
MRO
October 07, 2009 10:44AM
Denise are you in Bergen County? I think that is who my husbands aunt also wrote.
October 07, 2009 11:51AM
Deborah, you can also call as well. I always call them..smiling smiley I don't call them first ..I write. Do you know anyone else in the district who can write an e-mail also? One or two more e-mails might help ya out. Group efforts are sometimes best. smiling smiley
October 07, 2009 11:57AM
Speaking of group efforts.. anyone else in IN who will write Evan Bayh for me..love to have you do that. I am not piercing the amour there that I can tell. Senators can be harder to get to... I know that. So I think a harder effort to get in might be necessary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login